• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Regal Lx 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Otto McDiesel

I think that you would like these.
They cost $400-$450, but they are a seriously underpriced top binocular rather than slightly overpriced junk.
They are lightweight and fit very well in the hands. They are all metal covered with nice rubber. There are no ridges on the underside. The focuser is smooth and nice.
The eyecups pull in and out with a click at the end of travel, no intermediate positions. The eye relief is fantastic, about 19-20 mm, i can see all of the field of view with glasses on.
Diopter adjustment is on the right eye, click stop type.
Optically, they are excellent. Very bright and very sharp. If i compare them with a Zeiss FL 8x42, i feel like i get 99.9% of the image. The difference is a bit more color fringing (of yellowish or purplish type, barely visible, and only if i look for it). They are free of glare and ghosting and other annoying reflexions. I tried them at sunrise and sunset by looking at backlit birds: A++ ! The field of view is wide (6.5 degrees) and it is free of distortion at the edges !!! This thing is as good as a Nikon LX and almost as good as a Nikon SE.
To put things in perspective: The Celestron Regal LX 8x42 is probably the best buy these days (believe me, i've spent over $40,000 on binoculars and scopes in the last few years). It offers performance at the level of the the top models. It is waaaay better than the $300-$400 models like Nikon Monarch, Leupold, Swift, Eagle Optics Ranger, etc....
If my accountant would tell me "you are bankrupt, you need to keep just one pair of $500 binoculars" i would keep these Celestrons (i might try to sneak a Swaro or a Leica though).

Well done (whoever did it) :clap: .

I went birding yesterday with the Celetron Regal LX 8x42. Outstanding binoculars! They equal any binoculars for image quality and resolution. Sharp, contrasty, bright, flat image.
Two notes: they do have an intermediate click for the eyecups, and they actually focus the "wrong way" compared to my Leicas and Swaros. It took a while to get used to turning the focuser.

Update

The Celestron Regal LX is in closeout right now, respresenting a very good value for your viewing dollar.

$245 for the 10x42 and just under $300 for the 8x42. Do a search on 'Celestron Regal LX 10x42' and 'Celestron Regal LX 8x42' to find the Internet vendors with these items. I just bought both an 8x42 and 10x42. They will last the rest of my life and provide very good viewing.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Celestron-Regal.php

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back