• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead and Dying Siskins (1 Viewer)

nutterathome

We have a large variety of birds visiting every day, they know where the food is!

Over the past week or so we've noticed that some Hen Siskins are looking lethargic, feathers puffed out, head low in to the body and just staying in one position for quite a while, worse still we've found 4 dead birds.

There is a variety of seeds including Nijer which they and the Goldfinches love, anyone else experiencing problems?

Just a suggestion...empty..then thoroughly scrub and disinfect the feeder.
Then find a different seed supplier (unlikely but just in case, there is some contamination at work).

Thanks for the repy Ken. We change suppliers all the time and the feeders are kept clean.

The Goldfinches feed from the same feeders as the Siskins but look well and healthy, this problem seems to effect only the Hens.

Can a bird 'overdose' on seed?

So do I, but even if it isn't Trich it sounds like an infection of some kind. If you are happy with your 'feeder hygiene' then maybe they are getting it from nearby. Maybe have a word with the neighbours???

Thanks all for the replies.

I've just read up on this on the RSPB site and the symptoms fit the bill, no effective cure except to stop feeding for a while and keep the feedrs and drinkers clean. No other birds are effected except the Siskin Hens.

Although I change suppliers regularly for Nijer I did notice that this batch was extremely dusty, so maybe that could be the source. I live in the middle of nowhere so don't have a neighbour problem when it comes to feeding the birds although I am well aware that birds will travel to where the food is.

With around 15 species of birds visiting daily I suppose the Siskins are just unlucky at this time but I will do all I can to help them.

A great site, thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back