• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300f4-- 1.4 OR 2X converta (1 Viewer)

greg mit

Hi all, useing my 50d with a 300f4 lens, what converta would I be better getting for birds and general wildlife. Will I loose AF with the 2x on this camera. So 1.4x or 2x ? I will stick with Canon.
Thanks,
Greg.

The Canon 2x convertor won't allow autofocus on the 300f4 without taping a contact. Other brand 2x convertors don't have this limitation, but they all focus slowly with that lens. In my opinion, not worth the extra reach -- stick with the 1.4X or bare lens.

Jim

The Canon 2x convertor won't allow autofocus on the 300f4 without taping a contact. Other brand 2x convertors don't have this limitation, but they all focus slowly with that lens. In my opinion, not worth the extra reach -- stick with the 1.4X or bare lens.

Jim

Good advice.

The Canon 2x convertor won't allow autofocus on the 300f4 without taping a contact. Other brand 2x convertors don't have this limitation, but they all focus slowly with that lens.

This isn't the case, many third party 2x tcs will still not allows AF with this camera and lens combo, some brands (that are missing some of the connections) do allow AF. I agree that a 1.4x tc will be the better option with this set up.

Just to relate my experience of using a Canon x2 with the Canon 300mm F4 IS L.
I'd been using the Canon x1.4 on a 20D with good result for ages and like most tempted by the extra reach a x2 would give. My local camera shop had a x2 in stock and I gave in to the temptation. I purchased on the condition that if I was unhappy with the results a I could exchange for a set of Bins instead.

Prepared to do the tape trick to maintain AF and accept a loss in quality I started some basic tests.

The first major problem I had with the setup was it refused to focus lock even after pre-focusing and in good light. As soon the shutter was half pressed the lens would go completely out of focus. As my eyesight is not up to critical manual focusing I found this to be a big minus.

I next did some tests comparing the image quality ( manual focus ) of the x2 converter versus x2 upsampling in Photoshop. I have to say that Photoshop had the edge. Needless to say the x2 was returned after a few days and I now have a set of bins I am very happy with.

I have yet to hear of anybody getting good results with the x2 on a 300mm f4.

Last edited:
As my brother will attest get a Kenko 1.4x in addition to your Canon 1.4x and stack them for when you want to try some extra reach. They'll retain AF (should retain IS too I think) but how well it locks on I cannot answer but obviously good light is a must. Just make sure your not trying to do too much with it, heavy crops will not look good.

Regards.

Thanks for all the replys I think Ill stick with the 1.4, but am I better of with the 1.4 or am I better just useing my 300f4 50d combo and cropping. Please remember a 1.4 canon over here in NZ will set me back $600:-C so its a big deal for me.

I don`t personally think that 300mm is long enough to consider cropping.
How much is $600 in English pounds ?

A 1.4x TC is really a must have accessory for a 300mm f4 prime, doesn't necessarily have to be a Canon either, a Kenko 1.4x 300 PRO DG will do the job very nearly as well as the Canon for a lot less money.

I prefer bare lens, but I only take hand-held pictures in difficult circumstances (forest birding mostly) with a Canon 300 F4. No converters for me, they make the focus hunt a lot more in low light, and you loose that F-stop.

Thanks

I picked up my Canon 1.4 today, realy like it. I tryed the 2x but did not think it was as sharp or maybe it was just the fact there was no auto focus;) Any way thanks for your comments and advice.
Greg;

As my brother will attest get a Kenko 1.4x in addition to your Canon 1.4x and stack them for when you want to try some extra reach. They'll retain AF (should retain IS too I think) but how well it locks on I cannot answer but obviously good light is a must. Just make sure your not trying to do too much with it, heavy crops will not look good.

Regards.

I have tried that. Good if you need extra reach. Hunts a bit and lost some IQ, but still not bad if the weatheer is good.

Regards.

I have tried that. (Canon 1.4 with Tamron 1.4, Hunts a bit and lost some IQ, but still not bad if weather is good.

Attachments

• Ladner090309(1) 062_1.jpg
    Ladner090309(1) 062_1.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 96
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back