• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Owl UK (1 Viewer)

Last year one was in Windlesham, Surrey. Also a couple years ago one was in Clifton, Somerset. Dont know if they are still about though. They breed in Bowland in Lancashire, and one of a pair in Yorkshire was shot but not sure if the other one is still around.

Thanks LMC, According to Lee Evans there are over a hundred all over the country, I ve only ever heard of the two famous pairs and a few odd ones here and there. Anyone know any more?

Last edited:
They have been seen in most areas, from the Highlands right down to the south cost. More than likely that there have been a lot of escapees. This number may have been affected by chicks brought up in the wild in the uk. The yorkshire pair raised 23 young, and they may have dispersed right across the country. The Bowland pair have also successfully raised young, and maybe even some other pairs.

I remember reading that one of the 23 that fledged the Yorkshire nest ended up in Shropshire,never heard of any anywhere near essex though

The time when Eagle Owls were native to Britain I know has been discussed extensively. Anyway, during a quick search to find a current population estimate, I found this account by the RSPB:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/policy/species/nonnative/eagleowls.aspx

I would like to know how they assumed that Eagle Owls were extirpated from the UK from 9000 years ago to 1684. (The RSPB in this article give no justification for this assumption apart from an ambiguous "Further evidence for their absence is provided by the cultural and historical record").

By the way, if the number of unrecovered escapes the RSPB gives (5-6 unrecovered birds birds/year) is somewhat accurate, it should increase the genetic diversity and therefore long-term viability of the UK population

Last edited:
It's a delicate situation,while it's probable that the birds are from captive stock,can anyone be 100% sure that some birds haven't made their way here due to natural expansion of the species

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back