• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski photo adaptor (1 Viewer)

dylan

United Kingdom
Andy, have you any experience using the AT80 scope attached to an SLR? I've got both and wondered if it's worth shelling out for the adaptor to match them up? Any info much appreciated:t:

Haven't used the Swaro SLR adapters.... but used to use the Kowa one in the old days. You need to use pretty fast film and the image through the viewfinder is DARK (even to the point where focus is tricky to obtain). My main problem was that it's such a pain in the rear setting it up in the field (taking off your e.p. then putting everything together).
In terms of quality and ease of use... digiscoping seems to have the edge over 35mm+scope, certainly to my eyes.
Regards,
Andy

Yes Andy I would agree with you absolutley,

I have the same scope and a very nice but old Pentax P30t, manual focus SLR. I was really hoping to get one over the digi scopers but it wasn't to be. I would still say that under the best of conditions I can get a cleaner image with the right lense than I an get with my digi stuff but if you are downloading to the web then you have to lose some quality anyway. I’m still persisting with both systems and me new cp4500 arrived today so that’s something else I have to get used to. To those of you who are used to slr type cams, this is so unlike with its menus etc. that I almost ate it already! I can almost forgive the Canon pro90is that I have, even though it has a pitiful amount of pixels, it is so intuitive to use.

Mike

Thanks Andy & Mike. The thought of using the Swaro as a big lens sounded appealing. Focusing through the viewfinder in low light sounds like the biggest drawback, think I'll give the SLR adapter a miss.
I'm very happy with the results I get with the 4500 & scope so I'll stick with that combo until I can justify a big telephoto lens.

Mike, when you say you "almost ate it already!", does that mean you like the 4500 or hate it?

Mike,
I'm considering getting myself the Nikon CP4500 - like you, my learning was done on manual 35mm SLRs (still Nikon, but not mine in those days !). Could you let me have, by e-mail or PM if you don't want them broadcast, your first impressions of this camera, please ? I've looked (of course) at Andy Bright's site, but I would also appreciate a 'less-expert' view, since I am firmly in that category !.

Many thanks

Tony

Good idea to get a overall view from different users, Tony.... especially when reviews in Birdwatch and Birdwatching point in different directions ;) Personally, I found Steve Dudley's review rather strange.

Bottom line is that the cp4500 is capable of taking better photos than the cp995 (and fractionally bettter than the cp990)....but ease of use for a total newcomer or someone used to another camera may be a big factor, seems intuitive to me but I've been using Nikon digitals for 4 or 5 years.

Unfortunately there isn't a whole load of choice with digiscoping cameras.... Unused cp995's are getting thin on the ground.
Good luck.
Andy

Thanks, Andy - quick with help as ever ! I've not actually seen the reviews you mention, all the info I have gleaned has been from here & your own excellent site, but when Mike stated his reservations (however mild) I thought it would be helpful to ask. I thought of asking Jessops, but whenever I'm in there I always get the feeling they're trying to sell me something !

Cheers

Tony

Hi all,

Dylan the word was meant to be 'hate'!

I guess it's just me really but the menu system is very different from other stuff I have and I'm usually good at getting the hang of this sort of thing. Trouble is, I couldn't wait to get it out of the box and play with it and I really don't have the time right now to sit down quietly and learn all about it thoroughly.

If I'm really going to enjoy using it, I'm going to have to put it away for two or three weeks or two when life should be back to normal.

So Tony, sorry but I'm not going to able to give you a first impression yet but I will be delighted to when circumstances get a little calmer and I have the time to do an objective job.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike, I managed to get on with the 4500 pretty quickly, this is probably because I had no previous experience of cameras (digi or SLR).
The menus took a few of days to get used to, especially when the same button is used for different functions depending what mode you're in.
I think you'll learn to like it lots.
Dylan.

Hi Dylan,

it arrived testerday around 4pm and I was getting a little tired by then, had a hard day packing and phoning the universe and the lady from the removal company etc. etc.

It all makes sense to me now! It's just that the menu system is very idiosyncratic and it was so different from my Canonpro90is, my Sonytvr340, let alone the pentax slr. I actually got some reasonable shots through the swaro. I have to say that these were handheld (no adaptor yet) and I did a side by side comparison with the Canon (ie. tried as much as possible to get the same conditions).

{Accepting the fact that there is a hellava lot of vignetting with the canon but its optical zoom is x10 and it does have image stabalizing (turned of for this trial)}

I was very pleased with the coolpix results. A much sharper image was the first impression. Well thats the 1.4 extra megapixels.

Sadly no birds to snap in the neighbourhood through the scope, well not when it suited me. I did see a pigeon on a roof 75 yards away but it flew and left this article behind,

Cheers,

Mike

Attachments

• what-is-this.jpg
    what-is-this.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 304
Tony
Like you I only ever had 35 mm cameras but last month I bought a Coolpix 4500, my first digital camera. So far I have taken about 500 shots testing it and I am delighted with the results. A bit of practice with the menu system and it becomes much simpler, the more you use it. I have not yet used it for digiscoping. If you want to see what other users think of the 4500, go to www.pricerunner.co.uk click Photography Digital Cameras. It will give you the best prices and lead you into reviews. You can email me if you want. Good luck!

Graham & Mike,
Thanks for your responses - I currently have a cheap Canon digital camera, but it will not attach to the scope easily, and has an external zoom, which is why I am seriously considering the Nikon. I'll check out that web site, but when (sorry - if) I get it I'll probably go to LCE in Strand - no point in saving a few squid if (assuming excrement occurs) I have problems getting it fixed ! I intend to get the scope adaptor at the same time, and check it all out on the spot (which'll make me Mr. Popular on a Saturday, I have no doubt !), but it'll give me a head start in understanding what it's all about. I've downloaded Andy Bright's recommended settings for the controls as a basis for experimentation. Wish me luck !!

Tony

Hello all, interesting reading on the subject of digiscoping, Andy gave me some initial advice on scoping, my first scope before I met the guys,was a JESSOPS CENTON and with the coolpix 4500 and a home made bracket I got some results, Andy suggested a larger objective lens to let in more light,low and behold I now have an opticron 80 es with a LONDON CAMERA EXCHANGE adaptor which is a far better set up, but as always, you pays your money to get the results, I just need the subjects to keep still long enough.
PS DONT BUY THE NIKON AUTO RELEASE it takes too long to energise,use the mechanical system, I adapted JESSOPS cheap one with a home made bracket, so much quicker.

MARTIN J

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back