• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

any nice places in america that have a large population of (1 Viewer)

They do breed in the Dry Tortugas off of the Florida Keys. When not breeding they may be seen on the southern coast of Florida. I am not sure just how abundant they are though.

Hawaii is a nice place in America with a large population of frigate birds. They breed somewhere around the island chain - probably one uninhabited by humans. I've seen them off Mokuleia on the North Shore of Oahu and around the Kauai lighthouse.

Look at Barbuda, where a guide can bring you out to their breeding colony under very well ordered conditions, I enjoyed the visit a lot. If you go, you can add some Caribbean species as well, especially if you island hop a little. They are found in smaller numbers along just about any coast around the Caribbean.

Niels

Dry Tortugas

Frigatebirds? Just curious if there is a place where they are extremly common in large flocks?
They do breed in the Dry Tortugas off of the Florida Keys.
My wife Erica took these pics when we visited Fort Jefferson (Garden Key, Dry Tortugas) in April 2005...

Richard

Attachments

• Fregata magnificens 1.jpg
    Fregata magnificens 1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Fregata magnificens 2.jpg
    Fregata magnificens 2.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 59
are there any places in hawaii where a guide can bring us close to the birds without hurting or upsetting them of course? even if its not frigate birds any kind of large sea bird colonys? Though frigate bird would be a dream

On the island of Kauai , Kilauea lighthouse. It is a small bay or inlet and from the lighthouse side you can watch the cliff side.

Since it's technically part of America...I've seen dozens of Magnificent Frigatebirds at Point Udall on St. Croix (US Virgin Islands) and quite a few on the south coast of Puerto Rico.

Since it's technically part of America...I've seen dozens of Magnificent Frigatebirds at Point Udall on St. Croix (US Virgin Islands) and quite a few on the south coast of Puerto Rico.
Well, Barbuda is also technically part of America, although I'm guessing scuba must be using the term as an informal reference to the USA (perhaps even just the continental US?).

Richard

I meant America as in the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico are United States territories, not just part of the Americas.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back