• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk came visiting. (1 Viewer)

AnnPat

We were enjoying a cuppa when we had an unexpected visitor, I think it may be the same bird that was named as a sparrowhawk. MMinutes before this we has been watching the blutetits at the peanuts.

Attachments

• garden visitor.JPG
    garden visitor.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 74
  • visitor.JPG
    visitor.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 68
  • P1010963.JPG
    P1010963.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 88
Great photos ..........I saw my first one in my garden a few days ago after it descended out of the blue down on a poor blackbird, killed it and flew off with it. I got about 12 feet from it and so amazing to get such a close view of such a magnificent large bird. Photographs really hardly do them justice and it was stunningly beautiful in reality but I felt sad for the poor blackbird.

We have an injured bird aswell in the garden but its still here. It was just luck that we saw it,they are really magnificent.

Yes, a male Sparrowhawk. Handsome!

Could you explain to me for learning purposes why this is a male? All the males in my various books have a reddish tint to the cheek and chest, and this bird seems not to have it. One (old) book says that the female has finer barring than the male, and the barring in this photo is not very fine.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back