• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three From the Salt Marsh - LI, NY (1 Viewer)

safarisurfing

wasn't 100% sure of these , thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4428 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_4428 (1024x768).jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_5137 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_5137 (1024x768).jpg
    598.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5102 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_5102 (1024x768).jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 99
Assuming these are recent shots, Nelson's should still be on the breeding grounds (the furthest south they breed is New Hampshire). This looks like a Saltmarsh Sparrow to me. The pale lores and narrow line behind the eye match that species better than Seaside Sparrow.

Another for Saltmarsh, Nelsons ( the only similar Sparrow with that 'orange and grey' head pattern ) has a less clearly marked head, distinct, sharply delineated buff colour to the breast and flanks and diffuse, poorly marked streaking to the breast on Atlantic coast birds.

Well I learned something today, Nelson's got split into saltmarsh sparrow. Was wondering what you were all going on about, never heard of a "saltmarsh" sparrow before.

Actually Sharp-tailed Sparrow got split into Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed Sparrow and Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow.

But eventually those names proved too cumbersome, and they simplified them to Saltmarsh Sparrow and Nelson's Sparrow.

But eventually those names proved too cumbersome, and they simplified them to Saltmarsh Sparrow and Nelson's Sparrow.
To which I (and many others, I would hazard) said "whew!"

See here for an account of the split. Written by David Sibley nearer to the event, in Birding, June '96.

Seems I live in the old days. I only knew of two "wetland" species, LeConte's and (Nelson's) Sharp-tailed sparrow.

Trust the east coast to make everything more complicated.

I hope you discovered the King/Clapper Rail splits and that Nutmeg Manikin now is Scaly-breasted Munia (and that the latter one is tickable in CA) ;)

Niels

Yes, but I've never seen Nutmeg Mannikin/Scaly-breasted Munia or any kind of rail except coots anyway.

I think I'm up to date now, just missed out on the saltmarsh. Not that I've ever seen any of those eastern sparrows anyway

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back