• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

High migration 200+ birds. Herts UK (1 Viewer)

jforgham

Birding for fun
Evening All,
Was out in the garden counting the increase in gulls heading to their wintering quarters at 7.45pm when high above I noticed a long line of birds heading south east. Basically in a flattened m shape. I think golden plover, however, does anyone know of a particular wader sp that flies high, at speed, in such an obvious formation. By flattened m, I mean a long line with a few lagging behind at the end of the flock. Sorry if not too definitive, but by the time I went in, got bins, they were a long way off. Must have been at 3000 feet.
cheers and thanks for any suggestions.
best regards,
Jono

Golden Plovers sound a good option, but in August Dotterel is definitely a possibility too, I now they fly very high, but I don't know if there are flocks of 200+ in UK.

Hi Valery,
200+ dotterel would be an amazing find! The shape of the flock was so distinctive and I've watched similar in North Norfolk with golden plover, however, the speed was surprising.
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers,
Jono

Thanks, Chris. By fast, I estimated somewhere around 40mph+ They were gone in less than a minute and the garden gives a wide angle of sky view. Very impressive sight.
Cheers,
Jono

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back