• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leupold gold ring 8x32 non HD (1 Viewer)

Has anyone have or owned a pair of the non HD leupold gold ring 8x32? I have a chance at a new pair for 449.00 new in the box.I was wondering if i should get these or spend my 450.00 on some other binocular?Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Steve.

I think the Gold Ring binoculars are terrific glass. However, I've only looked and compared the 42mm versions. When that binocular first appeared it was $900 or so. The only drawback I can see with the GR is they are heavy. That is because they have large prisms. I am more than satisfied with the view. Personally, I'd pull the trigger. Those may well be the best that can be done at that price. Do a google search for "Better View Desired". There is a pretty good review of the 8x42 Gold Ring from 2005 there that might prove interesting.

leupold gold ring

I think the Gold Ring binoculars are terrific glass. However, I've only looked and compared the 42mm versions. When that binocular first appeared it was $900 or so. The only drawback I can see with the GR is they are heavy. That is because they have large prisms. I am more than satisfied with the view. Personally, I'd pull the trigger. Those may well be the best that can be done at that price. Do a google search for "Better View Desired". There is a pretty good review of the 8x42 Gold Ring from 2005 there that might prove interesting.

Thanks a bunch,I believe im going to pull the trigger!!!....Steve.

I have just recently got a pair of Leupold GR non HD 8x32 and I think they are splendid, especially for the price that they can be found for today. I have not been able to compare them side to side with top of the line glass, unfortunately. My personal pair of bins has been the nikon action 10x50, which I have been very happy with due to financial considerations. I recently purchased the Browning 8x32 for my wife and have been happy with that. Needless to say, neither of these is any comparison to the GRs. I have used Leica Televid scopes, leica 8x42 trinovid binoculars, and swaro 10x42 SLC bins on jobs for extended periods in the past under demanding circumstances (reading bands) so I have some experience with good optics and what a difference they can make when truly needed. I can't compare my GR 8x32 to those memories, but I can say that I am highly impressed with them. The contrast is excellent, they are bright and, to my eyes, wonderfully sharp. Many people have said that they don't compare with the best, and they may be right. But, since they are selling in the price range from $400-$650 US I think they are a wonderful choice. I got mine for slightly less and am absolutely thrilled with them.

Dale

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back