• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

France/Spain trip Jul/Aug - lot 1! (1 Viewer)

MTem

Just been on a 3 week wander through N Spain from Santander to Collioure (Med Spanish/French border), then Dordogne, Brenne and Baie de Somme….. so a few ID's to confirm and a couple that I am having trouble with. Any help appreciated.

These from Santona estuary East of Santander

1. Sandwich tern - bill black with yellow tip, long and pointed. No crest visible but bill does it for me vs. Gull-billed. Agree?
2 & 3. Puzzled by this one - in company with curlews as you see in the (poor) photo, but it looked uniformly brown all over through bins and in photo 2, although photo 3 from the rear suggests a lighter under tail area …… just a muddy juv. curlew? It was a long way off and the view was through bushes from the side of a busy road so scoping was not an option unfortunately.
4 & 5 Long distance digi-scope photos although the terrain was that green!. Ad Sanderling moulting to winter? Legs dark, size approx same as Ringed plover that were with it. Bill looks a little long to me for certainty, and would seem to exclude Little Stint (size as well, but that is always a bit suspect)

Thanks - more to come - see lot 2

Attachments

• IMG_1139.JPG
    IMG_1139.JPG
    563.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1158.JPG
    IMG_1158.JPG
    906.8 KB · Views: 71
  • P7240006.jpg
    P7240006.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P7240007.jpg
    P7240007.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 57
Which bird in Photo 2 is the one your looking at - the top LHS bird has a Whimbrel feel about it. Photo 1 is certainly a Sandwich Tern and would agree with Sanderling for 4 and 5.

Which bird in Photo 2 is the one your looking at - the top LHS bird has a Whimbrel feel about it. Photo 1 is certainly a Sandwich Tern and would agree with Sanderling for 4 and 5.

The bird in photo 3 is the same as the one in the lower left in photo 2 in rear view. Pretty sure the other two in photo 3 are curlews. It is the seemingly uniform colour of the upper and underparts - indeed of the whole bird - that struck me as unusual.

Mick

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back