• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (7 Viewers)

Some really funny behaviour between 3 chaffinches yesterday with 2 females and 1 male involved. 1 female ran into the corner of the patio and a male chased her in. There was a lot of noise and another female appeared on the top of the neighbour's shed. The male went after her and started doing a funny sideways walk, travelling about a foot in each direction. He looked comical and the female just looked at him. The 2nd female arrived then and the male flew off hotly pursued by both females, lucky him!:-O

I also had a brief visit from the pied wagtail, who has been missing for a couple of weeks. It is quiet most of the time but most of our birds pay a visit a couple of times a day.:t:

loads of finches today again,chaffinches,greenfinches and goldfinches along with sparrows,collared doves,blackbirds,but the highlight this afternoon was a male and female bullfinch together on the bird table feeding:t:flew off together hopefully somewhere nearby:t:

It is strange how Bfb`s Redpolls have disappeared and mine have just come back. 3 or 4 are coming on and off all day. They are there 1st thing in the morning and virtually last ones to leave at night.

I have bought the 2 Chaplewood feeders listed earlier and am hoping to set them up over this weekend see if they make any difference. I bought 2 cheaper peanut feeders and the squirrel damaged them within a couple of days so I bought a ball thing from one of the DIY stores and lo and behold no damage because it can get the nuts out easier.

There is a lot of activity in the trees at the bottom of the garden but when we go down to look they all disappear, not used to watchers yet.

I think the Wood Pigeons are nesting down there as well, possibly Stock Doves too.

Mostly Tree Sparrows,12 Chaffinch 6, Goldfinches 10, A Pair of Robins, Collard Doves, Wood pigeons,Yellow Hammer, Magpies, Siskins and reed Buntings are every day visitors so far. My Work list so far is 24.

Carrion Crow
BlackBird
WaterHen
YellowHammer
SparrowHawk
Curlew
Swallow
Dunnock
Tree Sparrow
Reed Bunting
Linnett
GoldFinch
Magpie
Collard Dove
WoodPigeon
Siskin
Red legged Partridge
Pheasant
LongTailed Tit
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Robin
Starling
Chaffinch

Who next will visit the Cafe ASCO?

Lots of nesting material being gathered at the moment - a starling has just foraged a large dry bamboo leaf out of a bush and flown off with it. Goldfinches are picking at moss and the sparrows are still picking up bits of cardoon down.

The pair of Woodpigeons have been feeding every day on the ground under my feeders at work, One flew over the fence straight away to feed under the Feeders. The other one has been pacing up and down the fence trying to get through the bars when all it needed to do was to fly over to join the other one, Well yesterday Eurika!! it finally worked it out, and flew over I'm glad they are here as they eating the Pearl Barley that the Seed companies bulk up the seed with cos it's cheap.But small birds don't eat.

Pied Fly update

Well I say update but pretty much as you were. The male is still defending the nest box but as yet no sign of a female. Dont know how long he will wait...
Siskins and Redpolls still plentiful on the feeders

Hello again everyone! Been bogged down once again, and not posted for a while. Too much stuff to do and not enough time for garden watching! Anyway a bit of an update, mainly relates to the nest box I put up last year. After both Blue Tits and Great Tits going in and out, it appears that the Blue Tits have won the battle, they have been actively visiting and taking in nest building material for week or so, maybe even more. So hopefully I will have a successful pair for the first time. Had my first Swallow sometime last week, with 6 flying over the other day.

One of our goldfinches was on the ground last night, never seen that before. The other stayed on the feeder the whole time.

Are goldfinches known as ground feeding birds at all ?

My goldfinches often feed off the ground and in a topsy turvy world, the ground feeders are often in the trays and on the feeders. The dunnocks love the black sunflower seeds in a tray on the feeder station.:t:

Pied Fly update2

Well he didnt have to wait long as a female appeared this morning. They have both been in the nestbox so looking good

Busybee - Put a bird table up last weekend, haven't seen the dunnocks on it yet. The still stay on the shed roof and fly down to the ground from there. Will try black sunflowers tho, cheers.

Just spied no 25 on the fence at work a Pied Wagtail, First for my new Work feeders, I have a small Niger feeder on my Work fence it holds 2 Godfinches at a time with the other 14 on the Ground feeding.

Last edited:
Goldfinches and sparrows, blackbirds, dunnocks, collared doves and woodpigeons again today. And a buzzard flyover (well, soar-over, complete with haunting calls). :eek!:

Everyones got Redpoll.... except me ;):smoke::C

Jeff super news with the Pieds mate, off to Wemberleeee tomorrow so will speak Sunday... maybe get up to see them Monday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back