• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

Gropper, 2 Whitethroats and Blackcap singing in the mist this morning!

CB

there's some damned good garden birds there CB.

not seen the garden other than early this morning when we had 3 green finch on the feeders.

they turned up yesterday evening and seem to like it.

we've been to bempton today.
where the ticks included one very obliging grasshopper warbler,
one bananafishbones and a goyter.

plus we stumbled across a blue headed wagtail on hornsea mere on the way home

there's some damned good garden birds there CB.

not seen the garden other than early this morning when we had 3 green finch on the feeders.

they turned up yesterday evening and seem to like it.

we've been to bempton today.
where the ticks included one very obliging grasshopper warbler,
one bananafishbones and a goyter.

plus we stumbled across a blue headed wagtail on hornsea mere on the way home

more forum members than puffins? :t: Goyter, Bfb, CC, Bornwild.....

Blog updated

Last edited:
just had a check through after up dating my lists

only moved into the new house in early january this year and the garden list now stands at 18 species, so a bit of a way to go to catch most of you.

though the year list stands at 134
and species total so far for april is 103. which i'm pretty chuffed with for one month.

saw my first manchester kitiwake this morning along with the first swifts and house martin of the year too.

Last edited:
Two house martins (I'm not 100% sure they're not swallows, but the tail fork wasn't especially long) flying around today. The buzzard and crow show appeared again, what a treat to watch. Still no swifts here yet - there were a lot less than usual last year so I hope they haven't gone altogether.

Two house martins (I'm not 100% sure they're not swallows, but the tail fork wasn't especially long) flying around today. The buzzard and crow show appeared again, what a treat to watch. Still no swifts here yet - there were a lot less than usual last year so I hope they haven't gone altogether.

jps the swifts appeared in this part of East Cheshire (Poynton) on the 8th May in 2009, 7th May 2010, so not too long now..... I guess a continuation of the trend so how about the 6th ;)

Not seen any Swallows or Martins over yet

We were out in the Preseli mountains last Thursday and ended up at Parrog. There was a big shortage of birds of any kind but we did see wheatears, stonechats, chiffcaffs and swallows. There were only gulls, mallards and a couple of Canada geese in the estuary. On the garden front it is really quiet with only a couple of blue tits and dunnocks with an injured sparrow wandering round with 1 leg dangling. I can't wait for the next generation to arrive:t:

We had a brilliant time at Gigrin Farm watching the Kites, Red and two White as well. Well worth the visit. We stopped over for 3 nights and also had several Redstarts,GSW and Chiff Chaff visit. Then we had had Nuthatch it was great. Went up into the Elan Valley and there were several pairs of Pied Flycatchers, a WillowWarbler, then to cap it all,we saw an Owl Box complete with Tawny Owl and 2 young inside
Climbed up the hill and there was a Buzzard and a Red Kite flying over.

Arrived home to find the garden pretty quiet but have now got 2 Wood Pigeons as regulars. Still getting the Redpolls and 2 Nuthatches every day.

just a few pics i took over the past week or so,very quiet here, just the usual suspects.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 51
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 42
Swifts should be back anytime soon. Looking forward to those first screams of summer!

CB

jps the swifts appeared in this part of East Cheshire (Poynton) on the 8th May in 2009, 7th May 2010, so not too long now..... I guess a continuation of the trend so how about the 6th ;)

Not seen any Swallows or Martins over yet

Thanks both... I'd really miss "my" swifts, they're so much part of life in my garden (well over it anyway).

Buzzard soar-over again today, I feel so lucky.

Good and bad in our yards lately. Lots of birds every day, including Blue Jays and American Robins. Northern Cardinals (see photo) appear all the time. Many birds are bringing their young, including House Finches and Carolina Wrens. But we found a dead baby wren yesterday, presumably killed by cats. Very sad!

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• Cardinal.JPG
    Cardinal.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 43
them cardinals are gorgeous jeff.

i've just spent 5 minutes looking out the window trying to see the Jay which was calling in the back garden, damned starlings do my head in, it's impersonating a jay now

Good and bad in our yards lately. Lots of birds every day, including Blue Jays and American Robins. Northern Cardinals (see photo) appear all the time. Many birds are bringing their young, including House Finches and Carolina Wrens. But we found a dead baby wren yesterday, presumably killed by cats. Very sad!

Jeff

Lovely cardinal pic Jeff... they have a really pleasant song as well, if they're the same cardinals you get in southern Ontario, which I visited last summer.

i've just spent 5 minutes looking out the window trying to see the Jay which was calling in the back garden, damned starlings do my head in, it's impersonating a jay now

One of our blackbirds has incorporated a dog-toy squeak into its song! It drives me mad! There used to be one that did a ribbit-ribbit, copying the stone ornamental "singing frog" next door, even worse!

Jeff

Great image Jeff.... and yes very sad RE: the Wren, would be far more understandable if it was a bird of prey, it really is a waste when it is down to domestic pets :C

Users who are viewing this thread

Back