• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

Had a wander down to Hellifield Flash tonight,was quite surprised by the amount of water that was still there.
Birds seen:
Lapwing 100+
Starling,loads
Pied Wagtail 30+
Canada Goose 50+
Oystercatcher 5
Greenshank 2
Mallard
Teal
Swallow
Snipe
Jackdaw
Crow
Goldfinch
Little Ringed Plover 1 Adult,2 Juveniles.

Attachments

• hellifield.JPG
    hellifield.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 278
hi

Hotspur said:
Seeing as every other county/ area seems to have a thread, i thought i would start one for Gods own county. Went out for my first visit to Tophill Low a couple days ago. Not a huge amount going on, Pochard with young, Shoveller with young and several Water Rails making a racket in the reeds by the lagoons. No sightings mind. Also got some ball breaking views of kingfishers on the lagoons just like a TV documentary. Wonderful. Not a lot on the reservoirs as there were workmen everywhere. Nevermind. Will definitely give it a return visit. Plus my parents just moved in 8 miles north. All the excuse i need.
As for this thread anything to do with birding Yorkshire seems good to me, current hotspots, rares, inbfo sharing etc. Hopefully have a few contributers.
hi james
new 2 this site
spotted abird ive never heard b4
light brown body /size of a sparrow/ a yellow cap with a tuft on its head/
song wheeet wheeet wheeet 4 about 10 mins
any ideas not a yellowhammer
been driving me mad
have recorded it on a little dictaphone but dont know what 2 do with it
regards marion

Thorpe Marsh YWT

This seemed very neglected yesterday. It hasn't actually been vandalised but there were no readable maps or signs.
There seemed to be kestrel and sparrowhawk, but we thought it was very quiet.
Does anyone here visit this site?

Rob

Keith Dickinson said:
Can't promise Sandra....but i'll do my best to get there. High tide is about 10am tomorow so your timing is perfect

Oh, perhaps we should try to get there a bit earlier then. Will watch out for you in case you can make it.

Sandra

Went down to Rodley NR as usual yesterday. There's some problems with the water levels down there too. However snipe has returned to the reserve pic attached and there was also gspecker and quite a lot of other commoner birds - off there again now actually.

Did blacktoft in the afternoon, it such a great place. There were over 10 greenshank, 5 green sands, comman sand, 10 spotted redshank, water rail, marsh harrier, garganey, blackwit, barwit and great views to boot. Worth a visit at any time I reckon - I was there at low tide!

Off to Rodders now...

Attachments

• snipe2.JPG
    snipe2.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 283
  • corm.JPG
    corm.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 273
BLACKTOFT SANDS - Sunday

Visited Blacktoft Sands today. Arrived at high tide so lots of waders around. It was just being reported that a spotted crake was visible from Marshland hide. Needless to say the hide was chock-a-block when we arrived so couldn't get in. Went to the next nearest which was empty and saw a pair of barn owls hunting over the reeds beyond the pools. Went back for spotted crake but it had gone for its dinner! We were with 4 friends and this is the group list (4 group members saw the crake!):

Barn owl
Mallard
Teal
Gadwall
Greenshank x 2
Marsh harrier x 4
Avocet x c200
Tree sparrow
Chaffinch
Sedge warbler
Bearded tit
Redshank
Spotted redshank
Shelduck
Golden plover (big flock over-flying)
Dunlin
Little stint
Spotted crake
Water rail
Moorhen
Coot
Ruddy duck (sh!)
Black-tailed godwit
Pied wagtail
Grey heron
Dabchick
Great crested grebe
Snipe
Lapwing
Turnstone (with Dunlin)
Shoveller
Wood pigeon
Collared dove
Magpie
Green sandpiper
Ruff
Sand martin
House martin
Swift x 6
Swallow
Great tit
Blue tit

I usually miss some species off our lists so this may be amended!

The weather was atrocious with lots of heavy showers amongst the infrequent dry periods.

Sandra

Hi everyone,
Had a quick look in at Filey Dams this evening and was very glad I did. Two Wood Sandpipers gave superb views as they ran along the scrapes, along with a Snipe and five Dunlin.
Nine Curlew were also present, as were Gadwall and relatively large numbers of Stock Doves. A Barn Owl sat in the entrance to it's box the whole time I was there.
As usual I was the only person in the hides for the majority of the time. I was wondering if any other local forum members visit the Dams?

jimmy2faces said:
Went down to Rodley NR as usual yesterday. There's some problems with the water levels down there too. However snipe has returned to the reserve pic attached and there was also gspecker and quite a lot of other commoner birds - off there again now actually.

Did blacktoft in the afternoon, it such a great place. There were over 10 greenshank, 5 green sands, comman sand, 10 spotted redshank, water rail, marsh harrier, garganey, blackwit, barwit and great views to boot. Worth a visit at any time I reckon - I was there at low tide!

Off to Rodders now...

Went back down there and there was good number of kingfisher on the reserve. i counted at least four seperate birds.

Everything else same as previous day. There has been reports of wood sandpiper, but the regulars are a little dubious...

Sandra (Taylor) said:
Visited Blacktoft Sands today. Arrived at high tide so lots of waders around. It was just being reported that a spotted crake was visible from Marshland hide. Needless to say the hide was chock-a-block when we arrived so couldn't get in. Went to the next nearest which was empty and saw a pair of barn owls hunting over the reeds beyond the pools. Went back for spotted crake but it had gone for its dinner! We were with 4 friends and this is the group list (4 group members saw the crake!):

Barn owl
Mallard
Teal
Gadwall
Greenshank x 2
Marsh harrier x 4
Avocet x c200
Tree sparrow
Chaffinch
Sedge warbler
Bearded tit
Redshank
Spotted redshank
Shelduck
Golden plover (big flock over-flying)
Dunlin
Little stint
Spotted crake
Water rail
Moorhen
Coot
Ruddy duck (sh!)
Black-tailed godwit
Pied wagtail
Grey heron
Dabchick
Great crested grebe
Snipe
Lapwing
Turnstone (with Dunlin)
Shoveller
Wood pigeon
Collared dove
Magpie
Green sandpiper
Ruff
Sand martin
House martin
Swift x 6
Swallow
Great tit
Blue tit

I usually miss some species off our lists so this may be amended!

The weather was atrocious with lots of heavy showers amongst the infrequent dry periods.

Sandra

Sandra,

Where do you need to look from Marshland hide to see the crake? Is it within photography range?

Thanks
Marcus

jimmy2faces said:
Sandra,

Where do you need to look from Marshland hide to see the crake? Is it within photography range?

Didn't see it myself - hide was too crowded then it didn't show. But it was close to the hide - on the far left hand side where the reeds are flattened. It kept coming out onto the reeds but my friends said it was difficult to see because it blended in so well. Well within photographing range. Good luck. Hope you see it well.

Sandra

jimmy2faces said:
Went back down there and there was good number of kingfisher on the reserve. i counted at least four seperate birds.

Everything else same as previous day. There has been reports of wood sandpiper, but the regulars are a little dubious...

Apart from Marcus's true love, Rodley, and Eccup, are there any other good sites around North Leeds which are worth a look?

Jon

jimmy2faces said:
Sandra,

Thanks
Marcus

Hi Marcus...here's a pretty grotty pic of the bird from Sunday morning. I did manage to get into the hide but had difficulty with digiscoping due to the crowd
As Sandra said the bird was generally down to the left in the corner of the flattened reeds. It had been visible for upto 5 minutes at a stretch. Didn't seem bothered by the tooing and froing in the hide

Last edited:
jonjyfisher said:
Apart from Marcus's true love, Rodley, and Eccup, are there any other good sites around North Leeds which are worth a look?

Jon

Depends what you want to see. Within striking distance is New Swillington Ings and there are some good birds there. I also like Bolton Abbey but that's more a nice place to take the missus on a Sunday. the peaks in that area hold good numbers of moorland birds grouse, ousel plus nice woodland and uphill river birds.

Keith Dickinson said:
Hi Marcus...here's a pretty grotty pic of the bird from Sunday morning. I did manage to get into the hide but had difficulty with digiscoping due to the crowd
As Sandra said the bird was generally down to the left in the corner of the flattened reeds. It had been visible for upto 5 minutes at a stretch. Didn't seem bothered by the tooing and froing in the hide

Nice shot Keith. I went there tonight and saw it. Whilst everyone was looking down there I spotted (nice pun) it on the far right hand corner, and everyone was really complimentary as I picked it out at some distance. We saw it again 20 minutes later being chased by moorhens.

Still good numbers of passage waders also barn owl, spoonbill, marsh harrier and bearded tit to cap off a nice evening.

My fourth spotted crake, but a Yorkshire first! Alas beyond the means for worthwhile digiscoping.

Nooooo Sonic....B S isn't the only place I visit..but it's the only place i've been since i got my digital camera. We're up for a trip to the coast early September, and i quite often get up into the Dales birding. Don't get over your way at all as i haven't clue where to go from a birding point of view. Give us a clue and i'll get over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back