• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MC 13-30x or MC II 13-40x Zoom for ED 50? (1 Viewer)

laccaria

Hi everybody,
my name is Sebastian and i am a new member of this great birding community since last week. I am german student in Bremen and have started my birding career last year. Some weeks ago i have bought a new nikon ED50 body and at the moment i am searching online for a good zoom eyepiece. I see, that there are two different zoom eyepieces available. But which one is the best? The one has a higher magnification (up to 40x) but the other is much cheaper (more than a third)...
Maybe some of you were able to compere both or are very happy with one of them. Could someone of them give me a comment about their experience with the zooms to help me making my decision....
Many thanks for your reply :t:
Sebastian

Sebastian...Welcome to the forum...You inquired about the a 13-40X that I had for sale but were a day late...sorry...
.The ED50 is nice ,good choice ..
Do You already have an eyepiece? or is the Zoom you are looking for Your first choice..?..the Scope is sold in some countries with the small zoom as standard eyepiece..I have owned both and besides the extra magnification I dont remember much difference in Image quality....the 13-30X is very small and the 13-40 had the screw-up type of eyecup that requires a bit of a bulkier design...Both eyepieces have little eye relief at any but the lower setting and the FOV of these designs is known to be narrow..THEY ARE HIGH POWER ZOOMS (one 2.5X and the other 3X)compared with most 8-24 mm zooms ,but both eyepieces are sharp at all settings ..40X still usable, WITH EFFORT,and at 30X the task is not that much easier...dim image steals resolution,eye relief is really short and the whole experience seems closer to be using a microscope than a spotting scope...but both deliver and allow for lots of flexibility if that is what you want...I am more happy with a fixed ,wide angle eyepiece ,with better eye relief,and for that I might want to have the smaller ,less expensive zoom as a complement in the future,.
If You really want the zoom as your main eyepiece,the 13-40 X gives you that extra push ,and the price difference is going to be irrelevant in the long term.But If You find a good deal in the 13-30X just jump on it,because I think You would be happy(or unhappy)with either one

Last edited:
Not sure with 13-30x eyepiece but I had the 13-40x MC II zoom eyepiece with my ED50. The view throughout the zoom range is sharp but with narrowed Field of View ...

Hi there!
Thank you for the great hints! I think i will buy the 13-40x MC II. Now i will start to search maybe for a second hand one...
Buy the way, does anyone of you know, where i can post something about a great selfmade scope (magnification 40-120x)? Is here on birdforum a special forum where i can write something about the scope? I have made such an instrument according to the Questar scopes and it perfomes pretty good. I have used an old mirror lense and so on...
Best wishes Sebastian

laccaria, I am in the process of buying an ED82A w/25-75x which is the same eyepiece as 13-40x on the ED50A.

My seller is German too, and since he hasn't shipped it yet, I can ask him to send the zoom to you instead. I'll be better off with fixed ep's.

Send me a PM!

Regards

//L

Last edited:
Hi Sebastian, Welcome to BirdForum!! Cloudy Nights would be a very good place to post about your self made scope.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=
There are threads on CAT scopes like the Questar and even a Questar thread, help on do it your self threads. Hope this helps.
You could even post on the spotting scope forum threads below.

You have to join Cloudy Nights to post I think, that is easy.

Hi Steve!
Thank you for your link. I will check cloudynights and maybe i will write down my experience with the selfmade scope. Some of the parts i have used are special for astronomic task, so it would perfectly match.
Thanks and have a nice sunday!
Sebastian

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back