• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some French Mysteries (1 Viewer)

been out again today - some nice things - first. What are the chicks, then there are 5 species on this fence and finally an easy one, then a hard one from a few days ago!

Attachments

• quiz1.jpg
    quiz1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 108
  • quiz2.jpg
    quiz2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 123
  • quiz3.jpg
    quiz3.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 100
  • quiz5.jpg
    quiz5.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 98
  • quiz 6.jpg
    quiz 6.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 92
Red-becked Shrike?

Whinchat, Red-backed Shrike, Blackbird, Wheatear & another Whinchat?

Bee-eater

White-winged Black Tern

Red-becked Shrike? -No

Whinchat - Yes,
Red-backed Shrike - Yes,
Blackbird - Yes,
Wheatear - No
another Whinchat - No (the whinchat is in both photos) - two more species to name.

Bee-eater - Yes, and what else?

White-winged Black Tern - sadly not.

1)Blackbird?
2)Jackdaw?
3)Red-backed Shrike, White Wagtail, Wheatear, Blue-headed Wagtail and can't see no. 5!
4)Bee-eater?
5)Black Woodpecker?

edit: hadn;t seen no. 3 had been partly answered, but other two are White and Blue headed Wagtail perhaps?

edit: again Johhny beat me to it! but I did at least make a stab at the races of them? (partly through Common sense but I can make out a blue head on the yellow wag) and for number four is it a Reed Bunting with the Bee-eaters?

Last edited:
Jonny's right - (and Liam is right with the races of the wagtails involved), on the fenceposts are Whinchat, Red-backed Shrike, Blackbird, Blue-headed and White Wagtails. There are Tree Sparrows with the Bee Eaters (there was also a Common Sand under them, but he didn't get in the photo.) 5 is indeed a Black Tern

Just need to know what is in the nest now. Not Blackbirds, but not far off.

well I ended up with a tiny fish bone lodged in my throat the other day. thankfully a few minutes of coughing and spluttering and I was free of the decapitating burden:smoke:

Fieldfares preferable to Arctic Terns for culinary skills in my book!:smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back