• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300/2.8 First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Only had the lens for a few days but here are my first impressions having come from a 400/5.6.

Having never seen the lens in the flesh before I was surprised just how big it was, especially when the hood is attached. Length wise it is about the same as the 400/5.6 but the hood is about 6" diameter - Makes the 400/5.6 seem very small indeed. Weight wise I knew it was about double the weight of the 400/5.6.

My first trip out was with the lens mounted on my tripod and Gimbal head and I carried it over my shoulder. One of my main concerns was the weight when on walkabouts but I managed a longish walk with no problem.

A lighter option is to mount the lens directly on a monopod and carry over the shoulder. I have not been on a long walk with the monopod yet but trying it out at home and it was quite comfortable over the shoulder.

The lens is also very hand-holdable by carrying via the lens strap over your shoulder, with the lens strap over the shoulder it is quite easy to pull the lens up to the shooting position while still retaining the strap over the shoulder. It may be that a Optech strap could be better than the supplied Canon one.

I have not got a 2x tc yet but tried it out with stacked 1.4’s (Kenko Pro + Canon) and was pleasantly surprised how well it auto focussed. IQ is looking good. I was shooting into the light and from a distance yesterday but still got some nice shots even though I had to crop heavily.
What surprised me most with the two converters attached was just how little sharpening was needed, shooting in RAW they were very sharp and only needed the slightness amount of USM.

The IQ with a 1.4 tc is superb with lightening fast AF. Having read all the hype about the sharpness of this lens I was not disappointed, it is mega sharp. Other things that I have noticed is the great colour rendition and superb bokeh.

I have no previous experience with I.S. but to my mind it seemed to kick-in almost instantaneously. You would not know it was there apart from the very faint whirring noise. Messing around in the garden I got sharp shots at 1/100 sec when hand-holding.

So far I have left the IS on mode 2 which seems to work well both hand holding and on the tripod – apparently the I.S is tripod sensing which means that when it does not detect any intentional panning movement it turns off the horizontal I.S.

My main reasons for getting the lens was for more distance and better low light performance and to this end it is looking very good at the moment.

The Wheatear and Godwit shots were taken at 420mm hand held ISO 800, both medium to heavy crops and the Gull shots were at 600mm on a tripod - heavily cropped and harsh light (the gull shots only show 420mm because only one tc shows in the EXIF).

Attachments

• blackwit1.jpg
    blackwit1.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 406
  • w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 408
  • HG1.jpg
    HG1.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 366
  • HG3.jpg
    HG3.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Looking good Houston...........

I bet you are very pleased with your 1st days out, what will I sell now to get that lens ??? I think I have run out of everything........:C

I look forward to seeing more Roy..........

Sounds like you and the lens are getting one well! Certainly it sounds like I remember the lens (from my all 20mins or so of getting to use it once), sharp, heavy and great contrast.
Something I also noticed when comparing it to my 70-200mm f2.8 IS was that the viewfinder image was so much brighter and clearer, dispite both having the same max aperture.

I bet you are very pleased with your 1st days out, what will I sell now to get that lens ??? I think I have run out of everything........

I even gave serious thought to this, till I realised that I wouldn't have anything that would come close to the price unless I really did sell everything - I have been wondering though if I really need both kidneys ;)

The lens is also very hand-holdable by carrying via the lens strap over your shoulder, with the lens strap over the shoulder it is quite easy to pull the lens up to the shooting position while still retaining the strap over the shoulder. It may be that a Optech strap could be better than the supplied Canon one.

Glad you're enjoying your new purchase. It really is a lovely bit of kit.

One of the things that makes the supplied strap so comfortable is its length. As you say, the camera has enough room to be swung up into the ready position when the strap is over the shoulder. I've looked for alterantive straps, but none of them seem long enough to match the Canon one.

One of the things that makes the supplied strap so comfortable is its length. As you say, the camera has enough room to be swung up into the ready position when the strap is over the shoulder. I've looked for alternative straps, but none of them seem long enough to match the Canon one.
That's interesting Frank, I was thinking of having a gander at the Optech range which I have always found most comfortable with the shock absorber type straps and non slip grip (mind you the non slip could be a disadvantage to swinging up into the ready position).
I will need to bear in mind the strap length when looking for a replacement, thanks.

Roy,

Congratulations on your new lens. From personal experience I can say that you will not regret the expense and extra weight. It is a stunning lens with or without TCs. I also am looking forward to seeing more of your shots.

Mike

Congrat's Roy, all you need now is the 500mm to go with it.........
As much as I would like one Mick I cannot see myself getting one at my age. My shooting style is to go walkabouts and grab my shots as and when they occur - the 300/2.8 is just about my weight limit for carrying around and hand-holding.( I am a frail OAP :-O and I aint going to get any stronger)

On reflections if I won the lottery I could always employ a porter to carry the gear LOL.

Well done Roy, from another recent convert to the 300/2.8 club. ;)

I've been using it with the 2x TC permanently bolted on, and it's still a blinding lens. I love it unconditionally!

Attached a recent adult Pectoral Sandpiper here on the island...

Jon

www.bitterbonxie.wordpress.com

Attachments

• 090820 Pectoral Sandpiper 003websizeBF.jpg
    090820 Pectoral Sandpiper 003websizeBF.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 404
Hi folks, I really do want one, I have the 500 f4 and its a cracking lens but now the 7D has come into the equation. Lens or Camera? that is the question.

Martin

The lens, Martin. Definitely the lens!

I learnt the hard way that you should always go for the best glass possible. ;)

Even a complete numpty like me gets nice images...

ce

Attachments

• 090906 Skerries warblers 005croppedBF.jpg
    090906 Skerries warblers 005croppedBF.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 290
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back