• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300/2.8 First Impressions (1 Viewer)

Glad to see you're getting so much from this lens. Inspired by some of your stuff I decided to try mine out with the Kenko 2x TC. I reckon the result is pretty darn good for 600mm handheld. Here's a 100% crop.

Attachments

• 300 2x.jpg
    300 2x.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 130
Glad to see you're getting so much from this lens. Inspired by some of your stuff I decided to try mine out with the Kenko 2x TC. I reckon the result is pretty darn good for 600mm handheld. Here's a 100% crop.
Nice one Frank, there is a lot of fine detail showing.Did you stop down for this shot?

Ah, good news from you Roy :t: ... congrats for your choice!o:D A great lens, and it seems you managed to get some fine results out of it already ... well done!
Talking of colour rendition, did you notice any major difference when compared to your 400?

Talking of colour rendition, did you notice any major difference when compared to your 400?
Max, there certainly is a fair difference IMO with the 300 giving absolutely beautiful colour rendition, I do not know how to explain the difference but I sure like it a lot.

Just so things are not all one sided towards the 300 I have found putting the lens hood on and off to can be a pain in the backside - if you do not get it absolutely square it will not slot on or off. Anyone know if there is a secret to this?

I am thinking of getting a lens bag or something that will take the lens with hood attached so I do not have to touch it.

Roy
If the Lowepro Flipside 300 is large enough (takes 400 f5.6 on a 1D without the hood extended) its an excellent, compact bag. Well padded and constructed. Shop around for price if you go along that route.

Phil

Just so things are not all one sided towards the 300 I have found putting the lens hood on and off to can be a pain in the backside - if you do not get it absolutely square it will not slot on or off. Anyone know if there is a secret to this?

I find mine just a little bit difficult sometimes. But Didi's is a real pain. Not sure why, because we've tried my hood on her lens and vice-versa. The only combination that is real easy is my hood with my lens. Perhaps they take a while to mesh together properly.

The other pain is the leather cover that comes with it. That I find to be a real struggle, so I bought a stretchy hoodie for it. That was slightly better.

I am thinking of getting a lens bag or something that will take the lens with hood attached so I do not have to touch it.

I bought a Lowepro 600AW second hand. The lens,with the hood in place, attached to a TC and 50D, fits in there perfectly. No real room for anything else except for a few odds 'n' sods in the front pouch. But I've got a Sliplock case for my bins attached to the side. The other side has either a tripod or, more frequently, my Walkstool, attached. It's quite comfortable to walk around with it on my back all day. It also means I don't have to bother with the hoodie.

Attachments

• 600aw 1.jpg
    600aw 1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 600 aw2.jpg
    600 aw2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 61
I find mine just a little bit difficult sometimes. But Didi's is a real pain. Not sure why, because we've tried my hood on her lens and vice-versa. The only combination that is real easy is my hood with my lens. Perhaps they take a while to mesh together properly.

The other pain is the leather cover that comes with it. That I find to be a real struggle, so I bought a stretchy hoodie for it. That was slightly better.

I bought a Lowepro 600AW second hand. The lens,with the hood in place, attached to a TC and 50D, fits in there perfectly. No real room for anything else except for a few odds 'n' sods in the front pouch. But I've got a Sliplock case for my bins attached to the side. The other side has either a tripod or, more frequently, my Walkstool, attached. It's quite comfortable to walk around with it on my back all day. It also means I don't have to bother with the hoodie.
The 600AW looks pretty good Frank. I know what you mean about the Canon leather cover but I have a lenscoat Hoddie with mine - mind you that is not easy to fit on one handed when you are holding the lens in your other hand.

Congrats on your new bit of kit Roy. You are making us poor folk very jealous!
So how does the new lens with the 2x converter compare to the 400+1.4. Is there a great difference in IQ? Have you done any direct comparison shots?
The 300f2.8 is the obvious upgrade to the 400 prime, but it is a hell of a lot of cash so it would be nice to see what I results I could expect if one day I get one.
Cheers, Stu

Yep, it still AF'd (albeit sluggishly at times) on my 40D Phil because the camera only sees one of the converters so still thinks it is at f5.6. The AF was certainly better than the 400/5.6 and 1.4tc with pins taped.

Roy
Sorry off thread but does a 400 f5.6 behave the same way with stacked convertors?

Cheers

Phil

Congrats on your new bit of kit Roy. You are making us poor folk very jealous!
So how does the new lens with the 2x converter compare to the 400+1.4. Is there a great difference in IQ? Have you done any direct comparison shots?
The 300f2.8 is the obvious upgrade to the 400 prime, but it is a hell of a lot of cash so it would be nice to see what I results I could expect if one day I get one.
Cheers, Stu
Hi Stu, not done any comparison shots as such but I would say that the 300 + 2x is most certainly better than the 400 + 1.4 and you get good AF on a xxD body- this has been the best part of it as I was expecting the 300 + 2x to be about equal to the 400 + 1.4.

I took the attached shot (juvenile Peregrine) with the 2x today from at least 150 yards , this is a near 100% crop. It amazed me that the AF locked on as quick from that distance. Only a record shot but better than nothing.

Also attached is a goose shot taken with stacked 1.4 and 2x (840mm) from about 30 yards - well usable IMO.

Attachments

• PF1.jpg
    PF1.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 840mm _3.jpg
    840mm _3.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 130
Roy
Sorry off thread but does a 400 f5.6 behave the same way with stacked convertors?

Cheers
Phil
The 400/5.6 would be the same Phil, it would only see one of the converters but because you start off at f5.6 it would see f11 and not f16.

... and you get good AF on a xxD body- this has been the best part of it as I was expecting the 300 + 2x to be about equal to the 400 + 1.4.

Big difference between AF at f5.6 and f8 Roy. No great surprise to me I'm afraid.

I'm also thinking that the sheer physical size of the front end of the lens gives it extra light gathering ability, always a good thing for AF speed and accuracy.

But that Peregrine shot looks damned good for a record shot! I'm starting to go green cos I'm still a fair way off getting mine. Cannot wait to feel the awe and amazement of using such a lens as you have demonstrated.

Have you tried with your ext. tubes on the small stuff yet? That's something else I was going to do with mine. Be eager to know Roy. :t:

Big difference between AF at f5.6 and f8 Roy. No great surprise to me I'm afraid.
I did not put that very well Adam, I obviously knew the AF would be a lot better with the 300 + 2x. It was the IQ which I thought would be about the same going by some past post that I had seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back