• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D - BiF (1 Viewer)

hollis_f

Decided I'd try the AF on the 7D today. Had a good read of the manual and decided to try using centre-point focussing with the focus-point expansion on. Looked for a place where I could get reasonably easy targets with reasonably difficult backgrounds. I was using the 300 f2.8 - so any problems are down to the camera (or the user) and not the lens.

Overall - I'm quite impressed. Once it locks on it doesn't easily decide to switch to something much more tempting in the background. The attached images show the full shot of a gull passing a background with some great contrast - and the camera ignores it. The first two images are two in sequence, uncropped to show how small the target was, the third is a 100% crop.

Attachments

• 7D_20090929_001-2.jpg
    7D_20090929_001-2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 735
  • 7D_20090929_002-2.jpg
    7D_20090929_002-2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 756
  • 7D_20090929_002-2-2.jpg
    7D_20090929_002-2-2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,021
So far so good Frank - have you tried Zone AF yet for BIF? according to Canon this is specifically for the likes of BIF (the centre 9 points would seem best for birds).

Last edited:
Yes come on Frank, try them 9 focus group.....I am camera less now sold the 50d, so got to buy the 7d, order in place....

So far so good Frank - have you tried Zone AF yet for BIF? according to Canon this is specifically for the likes of BIF (the centre 9 points would seem best for birds).

That's the next thing on the list to try. Or maybe doing the MFA on my 300 as it did make quite a difference with the 50D.

<Overall - I'm quite impressed. Once it locks on it doesn't easily decide to switch to something much more tempting in the background. The attached images show the full shot of a gull passing a background with some great contrast - and the camera ignores it. The first two images are two in sequence, uncropped to show how small the target was, the third is a 100% crop.>

This is what I'd been waiting to hear Frank, I think 7D + 300 2.8 will be an awesome combination for anything which moves !!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back