• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

Does anyone have any good sites near Norwich for purple hairstreak where they regularly come down to nectar on flowers? I guess they're emerging about now 'though I can't see any mentioned yet on this thread. Felbrigg has been mentioned elsewhere but I'm wondering if there are other good sites.

Last week I had single white admiral & SW fritillary at Holt CP but dipped BB bee hawkmoth 2 days running and also failed to attract any large red-belted clearwings on the Lowes.

There are purple hairstreaks on the oak tree in the car park in front of Zaks at mousehold, and on several oaks within the heath. Those are the best options within Norwich I think. They rairly venture to the ground however, so the best chance of views is to get up among them in the trees via either the Gazebo at Sheringham Park or the tower at Hickling Broad - both have colonies around them

I've not had any PH sightings reported yet this year, but I've had two White-letter reports.

White Admiral

21st June at Aldeford Common, 2 White Admirals and 2 Commas and about 20 Ringlets.
11th June about 10 Scarce Chasers between Rockland St Mary Staithe and the Broad.
17th June at Beeston Common near Sheringham, saw this dragonfly. Can anyone help with identification?

Attachments

• Not known.jpg
    Not known.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 60
There are purple hairstreaks on the oak tree in the car park in front of Zaks at mousehold, and on several oaks within the heath. Those are the best options within Norwich I think. They rairly venture to the ground however, so the best chance of views is to get up among them in the trees via either the Gazebo at Sheringham Park or the tower at Hickling Broad - both have colonies around them

I've not had any PH sightings reported yet this year, but I've had two White-letter reports.

Thanks for this, heading up that way again tomorrow night but we'll have to see what the weather has in mind.

Purple Hairstreaks now reported from the county, but not yet reported from Zaks - However a freshly laid White-letter egg in the hedge last Thursday shows they at least must be flying there.
In other news a Purple Emperor seen Monday from the train at Bressingham steam museum!

Camberwell Beauty in flight near Mile Cross Birdge in Norwich lunchtime today - flew across road in the direction of the City on opposite side of river to Gibraltar gardens. All too brief sadly but clear enough to positively ID.

Lots of Commas at UEA today. Counted half a dozen in one swoop close to the lake and there were more in flight by the woodland. Meadow Browns are around and one or two Ringlets as well.

Red Admirals seem plentiful lately. Around four or five at my parents garden in Brundall during Friday afternoon. Some more at UEA today. Small Torts at both places too although not in great numbers.

Not seen any WLH on Mousehold yet.

Purple Hairstreak out at Sparham Pools on Saturday with 2 seen around the car park and the glade area.

Foxley magic today; SWF, White Admiral, Red Admiral, Comma, L and S Skipper, L and S White, Ringlet, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown and Small Tort all seen.

Also had an unprecedented 5 species in my Reepham garden to his afternoon which was awesome!

Small copper at UEA today, fleetingly settled near the Sainsbury Centre. First I've seen this year although can't recall many in that particular area before.

Walked to Eaton via the Riverside Walk from UEA this evening and once again, there were lots of Commas. I have seen more this summer near the UEA than I personally can remember in the five years I've been there and right now are outstripping all the other species. Red Admirals are still in decent numbers too.

Dark-green Fritillary now reported flying, along with second brood Holly Blue

The Dark Green Fritillary is definitely out. Saw my first ever sighting at Holkham today as I watched a pair fluttering and settling around the dunes for about ten minutes. Thrilled about that as I have not fortunate in my previous visits to the area (which aren't very regular to be fair).

Fab day all round. There was a White Admiral in the nearby woods too plus there was also time to see a couple of Silver Studded Blues at Kelling Heath.

Other sightings today on the coast were Red Admirals, Small Tortoiseshells, a Speckled Wood, Large and Small Skippers, Large Whites, Commas, Ringlets, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, and a single Painted Lady.

5/7 Buxton Heath about 10 Silver Studded Blues male and female plus one Small Copper, 3 Large Skippers, numerous Ringlets, Meadow Browns and a Comma.
7/7 Strumpshaw Fen - single Silver Washed Fritillary on brambles on the Woodland Path and 3 White Admirals. Also numerous Red Admirals, Meadow Browns and Commas, 2 Gatekeepers, Ringlets, 2 Speckled Woods, 1 Peacock, 1 Brimstone,1 Green Veined White and several small and large White.

Visited Foxley Woods on Friday afternoon, my first visit and most pleasant it was too. My knowledge of Butterflies is fairly minimal but I did spot a Purple Hairstreak as it emerged from a small oak tree and fluttered quickly past me. No time for a photograph!
I also spotted this butterfly, not a good photograph in fact I had focusing problems with the lens which Wex later confirmed needed sending off for repair.
I presume that it is a species of Fritillary (Silver Washed?) An ID would be most appreciated. Is it a good find or fairly common at Foxley?

Attachments

• 7P9A3406a.JPG
    7P9A3406a.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
So from Mousehold Heath on Saturday morning and lunchtime (8th July) there were 2 x Gatekeeper, 2 x Small Tortoiseshells, 1 x White Letter Hairstreak (in tree tops), 1 x Purple Hairstreak (in tree tops), 1 x White Admiral, 1 x Holly Blue, 1 x Red Admiral, 1 x Ringlet, 1 x Small White, numerous Large Whites, Meadow Browns and Speckled Woods.

Saw very little this morning bar a Meadow Brown and a Large White, but didn't hang around too long due to the humidity and cloud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back