• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (1 Viewer)

Whiteout blizzard for 48 hours now and still going, at least two foot level depth, main roads in and out of Strathspey barely passable. Did someone mention spring! If anyone is thinking of looking for Ptarmigan I doubt if you will even get up the ski road for another week after this, the place must be just totally buried!!!

Blimey! I'm in the Cairngorms in eother a week or two weeks time. How does this bode for a visiting birder. I'd really like to see ptarmigan.

Best wishes
Martin

Details on the Cairngroms snow;

Average snow fall to date: 710cm
Snow depth Mid Mountain: 110cm
Snow depth Upper Mountain: 310cm
Snowfall last 24 hrs:10cm

It's still falling as snow up there and more showers forecast for the next few days. This time last year I photographed the Ptarmigan and the only snow was in the sheltered pockets

Blimey! I'm in the Cairngorms in eother a week or two weeks time. How does this bode for a visiting birder. I'd really like to see ptarmigan.

Best wishes
Martin

Can't see walking access to the hills improving for a while yet, but you may get lucky and get them from the car park (unless you ski!?).

Shorts and T-shirt weather this weekend!

Went up to my Wild Cat site with OH more in hope than anything for a picnic. Not expecting much we sat down to eat. After a short time some birds start alarm calling and a rabbit shoots out of the undergrowth. Bins up I see a slight movement. This is it camera ready, I'm not missing another! There it is bushy tail black tip, I can just make it out coming closer. Breaks out of the cover. It's a Fox. A dam Fox! Oh well it'll wait for another day.

About two minutes later an Osprey cruised low over and cheered us up.

Hi everyone! I'm headed upto Speyside next weekend (16th to the 18th). Are the Capers showing at the hide yet? Also, are we able to get that little train upto the ski balcony for the Ptarmigan? Cheers!

Hello everyone . Finally made it up here...thankfully the roads are clear and the weather's gorgeous ! Sightings Day 1 (Inverness & Black Isle) - yellowhammer , robin , red kite , buzzard ,chaffinch , greenfinch ,redshank , dunnock , coal tit , skylark , house sparrow , wheatear , siskin , oystercatcher , pied wagtail ,starling , blackbird , blue tit , great tit and grey heron . Not a bad start , a few uncommon (to me anyway) birds in the mix there . Day 2 is Speyside...I'll keep you posted .

Hello everyone . Finally made it up here...thankfully the roads are clear and the weather's gorgeous ! Sightings Day 1 (Inverness & Black Isle) - yellowhammer , robin , red kite , buzzard ,chaffinch , greenfinch ,redshank , dunnock , coal tit , skylark , house sparrow , wheatear , siskin , oystercatcher , pied wagtail ,starling , blackbird , blue tit , great tit and grey heron . Not a bad start , a few uncommon (to me anyway) birds in the mix there . Day 2 is Speyside...I'll keep you posted .

DAYS 2 and 3 in the Highlands - raven , song thrush , pheasant , jackdaw , herring gull , black headed gull , red legged partridge , lapwing , great spotted woodpecker and ospreys plus lots that we saw on day 1 .

Presumably this is the place to talk about birds at Burghead?

There have been two White-billed Divers at Burghead today. One of them seems to have gone according to reports from Birdguides, but one still remains there. Has anyone got anymore information on this bird/these birds?

DAYS 2 and 3 in the Highlands - raven , song thrush , pheasant , jackdaw , herring gull , black headed gull , red legged partridge , lapwing , great spotted woodpecker and ospreys plus lots that we saw on day 1 .

DAY 4 in the Highlands - Really struggling now , the wife is revolting ( maybe I should rephrase that ) so I'm having difficulty getting her to drive me here , there and everywhere ! Nevertheless we saw a mute swan , wren , meadow pipit and dipper .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back