• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Cooks book now available (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
Bill's book , "Binoculars, Fallacy and Fact", is now available on
Amazon.

I just ordered one. I am looking forward to it.

Jerry

Bought on Amazon France (though seemingly sold by Book Depository).

Nice to see this kind of book still published on paper as opposed to electronic format.

It seems too many people were saying and posting nice things about Bill Cook, and a certain CN Admin couldn’t abide that, and the word came down to lock the thread. Not one of the 47 posts on the thread had anything negative to say. That would give a rational thinker pause. But, .... At least I’m glad that some friends in Admin and Moderation have announced they’re buying my book.

It has been asked WHY I was banned. Well, the attached letter—originally private, and since had the recipient crossed out—will explain. Before I had a good handle on certain people’s motives, I shared what a great bino forum I had found; I have lived to regret that a thousand times as within the next year this fellow had followed.

Immediately after I was banned—which was for 90 days, 6 months, or permanently—depending on which Admin you speak to, CN’s bino forum was hot with complainers asking for my return. But by the time the thread had reached a page and a half all entries disappeared—so much for fair and balanced and thinking of your members.

In the course of more than 10 years, I sent more than 2 dozen memos BEGGING Admin to scrape this fellow off me, as among the terms of service he continually tied in knots were telling the truth and not “baiting” others. [One current member of Admin told a friend this fellow is not a troll, but rather “a SKILLFUL TROLL."] The memo attached is from 10 years ago and it was the SECOND in which I humbly asked this individual to stop using MY experience to pump HIS ego. If Admin had done their job, there would have been no problem. But, just as when I was thrown off BF, some people were thinking too fast for MY own good.

Not only have I been massively misunderstood (comma, again), the key “mis-understander” seems to think he is above looking into the facts and longsuffering of one so appreciated by the troops.

Cheers,

Bill

PS Considering how many threads continue on into a huge number of pages, it seems plain to me, that by locking the thread, certain CN Admin is making an effort at restricting awareness of my book that I have been singled out to be hurt financially. I had planed to offer an active member the TOC that one member asked for and the back cover of the book showing some pretty heavy hitters have endorsed it. I can't now. I hope some honest person starts a new thread related to the topic, especially as reviews start coming. At least it would force someone to say that I have been singled out. But then, "might makes right" ... doesn't it?

Attachments

• FOR BIRDFORUM 111207.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Bill Cook's book now available.

I realized after posting this thread, that I may have confused some
on here.

I did not want anyone thinking the original post was about,

"Bills cookbook" now available. "

I hope you can see the humor in this, I have a funny side that I
cannot suppress. ;)

Above is how I should have posted it.

Jerry

I realized after posting this thread, that I may have confused some
on here.

I did not want anyone thinking the original post was about,

"Bills cookbook" now available. "

I hope you can see the humor in this, I have a funny side that I
cannot suppress. ;)

Above is how I should have posted it.

Jerry

Thanks a lot-now I have this image of Bill in the kitchen cooking hash and glancing at his book on the counter. I hope it goes away before the book arrives Thursday.

edj

On my wish list. Good to see you still around for passing on your expertise!

PEterW

Hey, as a 66-year old stroke victim, it's good to see me around ... doing ANYTHING. Actually, about 10 years ago, I decided I was going to live FOREVER. And, so far so good! :cat:

Bill

Hello Bill,

Congratulations on the completion of your "opus magnus" on binoculars!:t:

I have ordered a copy and expect to receive it and start reading it on friday.

Bob

Last edited:
A personal question for Bill Cook-and others

re Nikon WX

THE BOOK will not arrive until ? Thursday, so my issue.

Since the WX was announced I have been interested ,
maybe obsessed ,with the WX10x50s.
WOW, the best optics, a new concept, something that I should have.
yet
if I get it what will I do with an overpriced, overweight binocular?
I view 10x50 as hand held, but these require a tripod;
and if I need a tripod I can see more with larger optics.
Birding maybe, but close focus is 20 meters.

The one redeeming grace is the price which is out of reach.
Please explore my bino obsessed psyche

thanks, I think
edj

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back