• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard, Oare Marshes - Kent (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

I was at Oare Marshes on Monday to see the Wilson's Phalarope, but while I was there this bird passed over and peaked my interest - it seemed to show a bunch of the features I associate with Rough-Legged Buzzard so I thought I'd get some opinions on it.

It just flew North over the main flood while most people's eyes were on the Phalarope.

Any thoughts would be very welcome, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• buzzard.jpg
    buzzard.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 165
All I can add is that there are Common Buzzards with similar features around. The one that fledged from a nest on my land for instance. I don't have a flight photo, but it was much like the OP photo, and the one below is a crappy phone photo, but I think you can see what I mean.
Mick

Attachments

• Jul17-001UK.jpg
    Jul17-001UK.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 57
True enough Andy, but I think I'm right in saying very rarely this early in the 'winter' - because it's like summer at the moment!

True enough Andy, but I think I'm right in saying very rarely this early in the 'winter' - because it's like summer at the moment!

We get them on passage up here in Russia from mid Sept but I agree, it is probably a bit early in the UK.

A

But Kent is a regular wintering spot for R-lB in the UK as well.

A
Having lived in Kent for over 40 years, I'm well aware of its status in the county. Although 1-2 birds wintered on Sheppey 2001-2009 I think this gives a false impression as they have not been a regularly wintering species since (although two did so in 2011/12) and most years only 2-3 single day birds have been reported. This fits the historical pattern of occurrence hence I think it can best be described as an irregular wintering species in the county. In contrast, there are now an estimated 1,000-2,000 breeding pairs of Common Buzzards in the county (more in winter) and it's not that unusual to see half-a-dozen or more from Oare.

This turned out to be a bit more debated than I was expecting!

I've been to Oare a decent number of times before and (as everywhere) my first instinct was to assume buzzard, but it did just seem to be interesting enough to bring it up here rather than making it another write-off.

It did feel slightly "off" in it's movement for what I would typically expect of a buzzard which is what caught my attention to begin with, but CB can frequently feel that way, so I'm not saying that's diagnostic of it being a RBL.

Anyway, I've got one other photo which had more detail hidden in it in photoshopping the light levels than I thought it would, so just in case it helps:

Attachments

• buzzard2.jpg
    buzzard2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 67
We get them on passage up here in Russia from mid Sept but I agree, it is probably a bit early in the UK.

A

Yes, on the early side but not impossibly so as one was seen in the county on 12/10 in 2013 although reports of tend to be later in the month or into November.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back