• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The highlands (1 Viewer)

Ian Whittle

o:)

Hi
I am visiting the highlands in a few weeks and going over to Mull for a couple of days, can anyone advise me of any good birding sites around the Aviemore area?
Not RSPB reserves, allready have them in my "fixture list!", but other places perhaps where I can get decent views of Golden Eagles?
thanks
Ian

Hi Ian,

A few members have visited Speyside / Highlands area this year, myself included. Digibirder has written a very good report in the Trip Reports forum. There are also a couple in there from last year too.

I've been a bit tardy and haven't done mine yet for this year, but watch this space, I'll be doing one this week - if it rains and I can't go birding ;)

As regards Golden Eagles we saw them over Forest Lodge, Abernethy Forest, Loch an Eilean and Loch Morlich - all close to Aviemore.

Last year we also found them over the Culbin Forest near Nairn and the best spot of all was Findhorn Valley above the cliffs on the right of the road about one mile past the turn off to Farr. There were a good few Buzzards there too.

Other than the RSPB reserves, the top birding sites for us by far were the paths around the south side of Loch Morlich and the circular route around Loch an Eilean.

For Osprey, as you travel up north along the A9 call in at RSPB Loch of the Lowes - I've just posted a few photos in the Gallery of the Ospreys - yu get superb views from the upper level of the hide. On Speysid itself you can see them almost anywhere and everywhere. Really good views can be had at the Rothmericus Fish Farm where at between 5.30 pm one pays a daily visit. Last year several birds were calling in there. It's just outside Aviemore.

Thanks Ian, that reply was quick!
I know the ospreys at the fish farm, regually watch them there when I am up North, but will try your other locations out, just hoping for good weather!
The kids dont like the rain (its easy to blame someone else!)
Cheers
Ian W

Hi Ian,

You'd be very unlucky not to get Goldies on Mull - last time I was there (on a bird club w/e trip) we got 22 Golden and 4 White-tailed. They're far, far easier to get there than on Speyside, where there's still serious persecution problems on the grouse moors (in the west of Scotland, it is all deer-stalking, and they like eagles as they clear away the deer guts after a deer shoot).

Also a load of Hen Harriers on Mull, too.

Michael

True, Speyside is certainly not the best place to see Golden Eagles though there are several pairs. I don't think persecution is the reason for this however. Hen Harriers, now thats a different story!
My record for Mull is 15 different Goldies in one day, so you shouldn't fail there!!

JP

Cheers guys, hoping the week stays dry! and theres not too many tourists out and about to bump into! A week of quiet tranquility with only the birds for compony! (feathered variety!)
Ian!

I've rarely failed to see Golden Eagle down Findhorn valley west of the A9 from Tomatin and had the wonderful sight of Golden and White Tailed Eagle together there last year.

Yup, we had four goldies and several buzzards in the same field of view this year, just five minutes after a couple of Cockney wide boys had given up in disgust <grin>

Also had a a male merlin mobbing a female peregrine - amazing size difference

Gordon

I'm hoping to go up to the highlands pretty soon to watch the Golden Eagles.

I got the following general GE location tips from the RSPB:

Upper Findhorn Valley, Glen Etive, Mull, Skye.

Findhorn valley was quite good saw several birds there, quite humourous to see a family of buzzards learning to fly (rather clumsly! at close quarters too), and ospreys there appear as common as Buzzards in the North east!
Got a great view of a goldie seeing off a pereguine just North of aviemore though, a place called carrbridge. Nearly caused an acciodent suddenly stopping the car on a slip road to pull over to get the scope out, unfortunatley the kids spilled pop and crisps all over the car and I spent quite a while clearing up the mess! It was worth it. unfortunatley the weather was red hot, now the kids think Aviemore is like Ibiza! and want to go back next year (the wife knows better and told me to *uck off!)
Ill be back!

Strathdearn "Findhorn Valley" has been excellent of late for raptors. An immature Golden Eagle is hanging about the lower end of the glen giving stunning views, Peregrine, Osprey, Merlin, Hen Harrier, Red Kite, Buzzards and a White-Tailed Eagle all seen over the past few weeks.
Always well worth a visit on a fine day at any time of the year.

JP

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back