• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x50 Jenoptem and Dekarem bins (1 Viewer)

craig braddick

Hi People:

I previously used the above for professional purposes. Now I am thousands of miles from them and need to use them again for work.

I know mine were old but are they still great binoculars or has manufacturing processing moved on to the stage that even cheap porro prisms are as good as these are?

Craig

Hi People:

I previously used the above for professional purposes. Now I am thousands of miles from them and need to use them again for work.

I know mine were old but are they still great binoculars or has manufacturing processing moved on to the stage that even cheap porro prisms are as good as these are?

Craig

Over 40yrs ago these bins. were de rigeur for their price,but nowdays bins have moved on somewhat.

POP

Hi Craig

I own a pair of 20 year old multi coated 10 x 50 Jenoptem's and they are still my favourite for wide angle bright 10 x views especially at air shows
Eye relief , weather proofing and weight are not strong points and if they are dropped usually its a problem

Imho they compare well to my Nikon E2 porro's which are regarded very highly by many though the Nikon's are better at the edges and are more compact

You could do worse than a good used pair of Jenoptem's Nikon E2's (10 x) or Swift Audubon 8.5 x 44
All give great views the Nikon's and Swift's will be a little more durable

RichT

prett much what ritch said. I have Jenoptems and 8x30 Doctor equivellents of the Zeiss and they're fairly nice. In my opinion they're definately a teir down from the top porro Nikons. The biggest problem I have is with flare. It's a pretty annoying characteristic for me. My 10x42 ELs and FLs with the latest coatings are quite a bit brighter than the Jenoptems too.

Both are superb bins. All that has changed significantly, in my view, is weight and waterproofing (okay, eye-relief is better in many modern bins, and I'm sure contrast / flare is better but not noticeably). The Jenoptems / Dekarems provide a wide, sharp and bright view. What more is needed?

Good day to everybody.
Microscopy is another hobby of mine and most of the technicalities
I can coup with i.e. DF. BF. PHASE. NAs. Dead magnification etc.etc.

Now, here is where I feel so embarrssed and feel a plonker.

My question:- What is meant by ' eye relief '?

Kind regards,
young Ian.

'Eye relief' is the distance from the eyepiece where your eye must be placed to see the whole field of view. It is especially important if you wear glasses as, if the eye relief is too short, your glasses can physically prevent you getting your eye close enough.

I have a pair of 10 x 50 Jenoptems and have to use them with the metal eyecups pressed right up to my eyes. On the other hand my Swift 828 roof binoculars have a longish eye relief of about 20 mm and I use them with the eye cups fully extended. I can even use them held slightly away from my eyes.

Ron

Kind regards,
young Ian.

It is an odd term, isn't it? It's the distance (usually given in mm) between the glass surface of a optics' eyepiece and the surface of the eyeball that will allow the viewer to see the maximum available full field of view. Most scopes and binoculars seem to vary between 13 and 18mm; to see the full field of view whil wearing glasses seems to need about 18-20mm eye relief, although this depends on their design and on other anatomical factors.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back