• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question about full field sharpness? (1 Viewer)

takitam

Hi all!

The bins that force me to ask this question are Nikon Hgl 8x20. I'd like to know if this is normal: I focus on a book cover 5-6 meters away focusing on the text in the center of the field of view, then I move the bins and/or eyes to see focused text in outer part of FOV, near the edge(without changing the focus) and it isn't sharp anymore.

Is it normal? (Objects observed near the edge of FOV are sharp when I focus specifically on them.) About 50-60% from center sharpness remains the same but in outer 40% it is sharp on closer objects. It is less visible on far objects(Proportions change to 70/80 to 30/20). This is probably a lame question,but I'd like to get some clarification about this. And I hope I made myself clear|^|

You are quite observant. This common aberration is called field curvature. Binoculars differ in the amount of it, and in how it is mixed with the other edge-blurring aberrations, coma and astigmatism, which cannot be "focused away". Every binocular I have seen has more or less of what you describe, and in that same direction.

I have often used a 3-pound 7x50 that was difficult to focus because the eyepieces focused individually. I made good use of that binocular's field curvature, which happened to be rather strong, but was not complicated with the other aberrations. By freely placing the object somewhere between the center of the field and the edge, I could get a useful range of focus. The penalty I paid was increased lateral color, the closer to the edge I got.
Ron

Dioptre adjustment

It's me again, harassing knowledgeable people here at birdforum once more;)

I've read that one should set dioptre adjustment looking at distant target. But... I have near-sightedness with a slight difference between both eyes, approximately 0.25 - 0.5 dioptre, and when I focus on a distant target I see it clearly with both eyes, the difference between eyes/barrels is negligible, and I can't adjust the dioptre therefore.

So the question is: will anything wrong happen with bins focusing mechanism, if I set the dioptre at target 6 m. away, when I see difference between both eyes and can correct it with dioptre wheel? Will it disorder focusing mechanism or have negative impact on focusing after that?

Last edited:
Thanks, I knew I was careful to an extent when it becomes absurd asking this question, but I once set the diopter close on a 10 dollars cheap 10x25 binoculars and it messed up focusing with these bins totally. One barrel started to focus at different speed than the other and bins got totally useless. But maybe there was a different reason for it.

So one can set and reset diopter anytime once you know your setting?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back