• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (52 Viewers)

Hotspur said:
Argh, gripped immensely-Wheldrake is my local patch and all would have been patch and year ticks.

Sorry, James. The Jack Snipe were flying at dawn, seen from the observation point near the first patch of water. No reason they won't be around for a while and as with all birds good chance of spotting them if you get there before the dog-walkers arrive. Extra hours daylight in the morning now! ;)

Have you seen Russell Slack's article on Birdguides about Jack Snipe in the LDV? http://www.birdguides.com/birdnews/article.asp?a=788 It was that which tipped me to go to Wheldrake, and I think it it was actually Russell who I bumped into who checked the goose and corroborated it as flavirostris. Birdguides says it is was still present today. It can be picked out from the Greylag flock from the observation platform, but there are better views by wading down to the hide. It was 57th from the left when I found it, but may have moved around a bit :) It seemed always to be close to the Barnacle, which was easier to pick out.

The Hen Harrier was at St. Aidan's, and again at dawn this morning.

BTW, this White Stork up near Ripon is presumably one of Harewood's birds, right? Pictures show yellow ring above left knee?

Graham

bitterntwisted said:
BTW, this White Stork up near Ripon is presumably one of Harewood's birds, right? Pictures show yellow ring above left knee?

Graham

According to a post on the Birdguides site the bird is the Dutch-ringed one that was in North Notts in September.

Thanks, chaps. Does this mean it is not plastic, then? If not, I may venture to see it, as I could go look for Hawfinches at Fountains Abbey and/or visit Nosterfield as well. Although it does look a rather scruffy specimen.

Thanks,
Graham

So only pristine specimens for you eh Graham?

If you're in the area anyway then a quick look for insurance is best, then wait for the 'Yorkshire Birding' team's verdict. If ringed abroad then there's a more than a good chance the bird will be declared tickable.

Sod the official need for acceptance, i feel that as a desperately tick hungry band of yorkshire folk we must be more than qualified to give an even handed decision on every rare bird in the ridings. THE STORK IS WILD!!!!!

Hotspur said:
Sod the official need for acceptance, i feel that as a desperately tick hungry band of yorkshire folk we must be more than qualified to give an even handed decision on every rare bird in the ridings. THE STORK IS WILD!!!!!

Thanks, guys, although the objection is not so much tick-related as it being a long way to see a lost pet. I like my nature natural. (But I do have a list) And I guess it don't matter if it's muddy if it's wild!

So it's Stork and Hawfinch as my lifers for tomorrow - although I fear I cannot get into the car park at Fountains Abbey until 10AM I shall try anyway - just reckon chances will be better while the great British public are still in bed.

Thanks again,
Graham

White Stork are the only birds that I am at all dubious about due to the free-flying birds from Harewood.
However as the Riponn bird is foreign ringed I might have a potter over there on Thursday if it is still around, nice year tick. I have a load of white stork sightings made over the years which cannot be proved conclusively to be wild birds.
However I did get the birds at Horbury a couple of years ago as they were proven to be wild origin.

bitterntwisted said:
Thanks, guys, although the objection is not so much tick-related as it being a long way to see a lost pet. I like my nature natural. (But I do have a list) And I guess it don't matter if it's muddy if it's wild!

So it's Stork and Hawfinch as my lifers for tomorrow - although I fear I cannot get into the car park at Fountains Abbey until 10AM I shall try anyway - just reckon chances will be better while the great British public are still in bed.

Thanks again,
Graham

Good luck Graham. Would like to see the stork myself, however Ripon is a bit far from Bridlington, especially on a work day! If you miss the Hawfinch at FA you can always cheer your self up with the Grey Wagtail and Dipper on the river.

Keith Dickinson said:
However as the Riponn bird is foreign ringed I might have a potter over there on Thursday if it is still around, nice year tick.

White Stork flew to its apparent regular roost at 5PM, which the farmer said is the usual time. By day it commutes between the ploughed fields as documented on Birdguides. Roost is farm buildings shown on 1:25000 OS Map as "Hutton Hall", grid ref SE334739. Can be viewed from the top of the farm track leading down to the hall, and was magnificent seeing it flying past the sunset.

Also Dipper, Grey Wagtail, Goosander, and more than 350 Fieldfare at Fountains Abbey, and 1st Winter female Peregrine chasing everything at Nosterfield NR.

Don't ask about Hawfinches. I have permanently injured my neck and cannot look down. I hunted from 0650 until 1225, when I gave up and sought Dippers instead. Hawfinches do not exist, and are a figment of other birders imaginations. And Storks and Peregrines are better!

Graham

skink1978 said:
Good luck Graham. Would like to see the stork myself, however Ripon is a bit far from Bridlington, especially on a work day! If you miss the Hawfinch at FA you can always cheer your self up with the Grey Wagtail and Dipper on the river.

Thanks, Skink. Yes, the Dipper and GreyWag dip really cheer me up, particularly as they were below me which meant looking down! I could watch Dippers all day, though.

Cheers,
Graham

bitterntwisted said:
White Stork flew to its apparent regular roost at 5PM, which the farmer said is the usual time. By day it commutes between the ploughed fields as documented on Birdguides. Roost is farm buildings shown on 1:25000 OS Map as "Hutton Hall", grid ref SE334739. Can be viewed from the top of the farm track leading down to the hall, and was magnificent seeing it flying past the sunset.

Also Dipper, Grey Wagtail, Goosander, and more than 350 Fieldfare at Fountains Abbey, and 1st Winter female Peregrine chasing everything at Nosterfield NR.

Don't ask about Hawfinches. I have permanently injured my neck and cannot look down. I hunted from 0650 until 1225, when I gave up and sought Dippers instead. Hawfinches do not exist, and are a figment of other birders imaginations. And Storks and Peregrines are better!

Graham

The Stork is darvic ringed. I travelled to Notts. to see the bird, and also saw it at Melmerby. It has been stated that the bird is dutch-ringed. However, I haven't specifically seen any articles that confirm this. It may just be that people are saying it is Dutch ringed from use of the term darvic, (which I'm presuming is a dutch word).

However, it is just terminology. The Harewood birds have previously been referred to as darvic ringed. I hope it does turn out to be Dutch ringed, but even then are we dealing with a wild bird? There has been an introduction programme in Holland, so it may well be an introduced bird. It should be thinking about moving south soon. The longer it is here the worse its credentials get. I have previously studied the Harewood birds, and I don't think it is one of those.

The Horbury birds were not truly wild in "tickable" terms either, as the one wild bird of the pair had been nursed back to health after being found emaciated.

White Storks are a problem as captive birds get up on the wing at the same time as wild birds. The Harewood birds become active in Spring and start to wander. All you can do is keep seeing as many as possible and play the law of averages. One coming in off the sea would be best - preferably on the south coast.

This bird is quite smart though as Storks go.

As for Hawfinch, the best place in Yorkshire is the small village of Hutton near Guisborough in winter. The large beach trees and Yew trees hold birds most times I've been.

Lawts said:
The Stork is darvic ringed. I travelled to Notts. to see the bird, and also saw it at Melmerby. It has been stated that the bird is dutch-ringed. However, I haven't specifically seen any articles that confirm this. It may just be that people are saying it is Dutch ringed from use of the term darvic, (which I'm presuming is a dutch word).

Cheers, Lawts, I wondered about this and have just been on http://www.cr-birding.be trying to confirm the bird's origin and check it had been reported. The ring it is wearing seems to fit only a Moroccan scheme, which I will email, or a French scheme which has only a postal address. I don't want to fanny about with this for too long but I can't find any evidence that anyone in Notts or here definitely checked this out fully. But surely someone did?

Lawts said:
As for Hawfinch, the best place in Yorkshire is the small village of Hutton near Guisborough in winter. The large beach trees and Yew trees hold birds most times I've been.

Unless it is possible to view these trees from above I will stand by my earlier position that Hawfinches are imaginary. I'm serious, I've seen my own feet for the last time!

Lawts said:

However, it is just terminology. The Harewood birds have previously been referred to as darvic ringed. I hope it does turn out to be Dutch ringed, but even then are we dealing with a wild bird? There has been an introduction programme in Holland, so it may well be an introduced bird. It should be thinking about moving south soon. The longer it is here the worse its credentials get. I have previously studied the Harewood birds, and I don't think it is one of those.

There was a discussion on the White Stork(s) on the Nottsbirdnews discussion group, and it seems to comment on several different birds, which may have resulted in confused information.

I've extracted and replicated the relevant information here, it comes from two threads:

Thread 1

25/11/2003
Anyone have any info on the White Storks at Harewood House? What colour rings, which leg etc. Anything forthcoming would be most appreciated.

There was a White Stork at Eakring late afternoon/early evening, in fields
adjacent to the former Bilsthorpe Pit, accessed off the minor road from the A614 to Eakring. It was sporting a probable "weathered" silver ring on it's right
leg. Makes for a decent picture whatever it's origins.

26/11/2003
Apparently at the beginning of the year Harewood had four White Storks.
A pinioned male and three free flying birds, and they had grey plastic
rings with black lettering -- which are:--

FIV a female,-- came from Scotland originally, has breed with the
pinioned male

FIU -- doesn't wander ???

FIY -- this may not have its ring on -- possibly.

27/11/2003
The White Stork at Eakring has the letters A J.

07/09/2006
On the right leg

Thread 2

07/09/2006
Does anyone have any info on where and when the White Stork was ringed in Holland please?

No replies were posted.

Note that the last reply in thread 1 is almost 3 years later and coincidently is on the same date as the post in thread 2. I believe thread 2, and the last post of thread 1 are referring to the Retford White Stork featured in Dean's photos (see my previous post for link) taken on 06/09/2006.

Eakring and Retford are both in North Notts.

Hope this is of some use.

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!! Went to get my car from the garage so i could go see the funny penguin and its not ready. So pi**ed off.

ukbenny said:
There was a discussion on the White Stork(s) on the Nottsbirdnews discussion group, and it seems to comment on several different birds, which may have resulted in confused information.

I've extracted and replicated the relevant information here, it comes from two threads:

Thread 1

25/11/2003

26/11/2003

27/11/2003

07/09/2006

Thread 2

07/09/2006

No replies were posted.

Note that the last reply in thread 1 is almost 3 years later and coincidently is on the same date as the post in thread 2. I believe thread 2, and the last post of thread 1 are referring to the Retford White Stork featured in Dean's photos (see my previous post for link) taken on 06/09/2006.

Eakring and Retford are both in North Notts.

Hope this is of some use.

The recent Notts./Melmerby bird has the lettering PCC. It isn't a Harewood bird. Like I say though a darvic ring is a term for a plastic ring with numbering. I just wonder if someone has heard darvic, put two and two together and assumed it must be Dutch ringed. I hope not. Let's hope we find out it was ringed as a nestling in Holland.

Quick visit to Swillington Ings tonight. Picked up Merlin - seems to be hanging around - hope it winters. Also Short-eared Owl, and heard a Kingfisher. Goosander, and a good selection of other duck, including a Ruddy that has managed to evade the guns.

Lawts said:
Quick visit to Swillington Ings tonight. Picked up Merlin - seems to be hanging around - hope it winters. Also Short-eared Owl, and heard a Kingfisher. Goosander, and a good selection of other duck, including a Ruddy that has managed to evade the guns.

Blimey, Steve! You picked up that Merlin through my scope, I believe! Another BF tick for me.

Following this further example of failing to recognise each other can I be the first and last to suggest that for our forthcoming meet we all wear day-glo skin-tight neoprene jumpsuits with the BF logo?

Graham

bitterntwisted said:
Blimey, Steve! You picked up that Merlin through my scope, I believe! Another BF tick for me.

Following this further example of failing to recognise each other can I be the first and last to suggest that for our forthcoming meet we all wear day-glo skin-tight neoprene jumpsuits with the BF logo?

Graham

I heard it was chicken costumes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back