• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New binoculars - any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Best combination of the three characteristics out of the bins I am familiar with on your list? Probably the Meopta.

But how about the colour cast? I´m sensitive to colour cast I must say. I want the binocular to be as neutral as possible (I think the Nikon 8x32 SE is rather neutral). Thats one big reason I don´t like the Zeiss scopes for example.

Last edited:
I have now e-mailed the dealer about the Meopta 7x42 binocular. I think I will purchase this binocular if the dealer will let me test them at home and send it back if I´m not satisfied with them.

The only things I´m "worried" about are: the yellow colour cast (if there is any) and the weight.

Otherwise I think it can be a perfect binocular for me. I read somewhere that the focusing is rather fast and accurate. It´s very nice to hear if it´s true..?

Another nice thing is the lifetime warranty!

Kingfisher,

The Meopta 7x have a comfortable view and have a very wide view.

They do have a very slight color cast but if you spend a day with them you'll most likely find no issues. Ergonomics are perfect, as is focus speed.

Interested to hear your findings.

Cheers

Do you think that a Meopta Meostar 7x42 is a "better buy" than a Swarovski SLCnew 7x42B (6995:- for the Meopta, 10490:- for the Swarovski)? The price difference between the two is not very huge, but difference in optic qualities are maybe even lesser?

Do you think that a Meopta Meostar 7x42 is a "better buy" than a Swarovski SLCnew 7x42B (6995:- for the Meopta, 10490:- for the Swarovski)? The price difference between the two is not very huge, but difference in optic qualities are maybe even lesser?
The SLC is the better binocular.

Kingfisher,

If you had each one in hand... optically you would find no difference.
Ergonomically you would find the Meopta more comfortable.

I made the same comparisons before I purchased. Two booths, side by side for two hours at a birding festival. Swaro vs. Meopta. At the time the Meopta was even less expensive. I tried the 8x... but for me I have glasses and the 7x were super.

Your eyes will tell you what to purchase...

Cheers.

John... that's kind of thin. Could you explain why they're better?
Would like to hear another opinion.

I based it on direct comparison. But... everyone is different.

Kingfisher,

The optical performance between the two is very similar. The Meopta displays slightly more color fringing than the SLC and has the ever so slightest yellow color bias. Considering the similarities in optical performance I would most certainly have to say that the Meopta is the better value.

I will of course try the Meopta myself and see if it is good. But .. would you say that the color cast/bias is just as obvious as in the Zeiss Diascopes?

Sorry, I have never tried any of the Zeiss Diascopes.

I would call the color bias "minimal". It isn't as bad as something like some of the Docter models I have tried and would be somewhat similar to the old Nikon Venturer 8x42 I owned. You couldn't really see the bias unless you looked at something white or in direct comparison with a more color neutral binocular. It does not take away from the overall image quality in my opinion and actually adds to the level of apparent contrast in certain situations.

I have now ordered a Meopta 7x42. I hope I will be happy with my purchase. The weight should not be a big problem I think, but I´m a bit worried about the yellow color cast you mention. However, I have read that some birders not noticed this in the 7x model. I hope I will be one of them! :)

Otherwise, I am interested in Nikon 8x42 HGL also. Not least for its fast focus. How is it to focus with the Meopta?

One other thing: How do you pronounce Meopta? Are you saying Me as in "Meeting" or "Met"?

I posted this on the Nikon forum because I missed this thread:

I don't think the kind of tremor you're describing can be eliminated just by moving to a different binocular in the same magnification, no matter what the objective diameter. That's going to make a slight difference if any. Going to a lower magnification (especially a 6x) would help. I think if you really want to get a steady view, you need to either use your binoculars with a monopod (using an adaptor like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...d_Adapter.html), or get a pair of image stabilized binoculars. The latter option has several pros and cons which have been debated here on other threads.

The Meoptas might be steadier--I'll be interested to hear whether they make enough of a difference to matter.

Kingfisher,

I think you will be fully satisfied with the Meopta. You probably won't even notice the color cast unless you look really hard for it under certain conditions. For what it is worth I would say that the lower in magnification you go with any binocular the less likely you are to see any pronounced deficiencies. This will probably be the case with the 7x42 Meopta as well.

I have an 8x56 Meostar due in any day (in fact I think I missed delivery today as we were out at Hawk Mountain). I look forward to trying them as I think they will have a wonderful "walk-in" view.

If the price was equal to the Meopta 7x42 and the Nikon 8x42 HGL, would you still choose the Meopta in that case?

A store here in Sweden had lowered the price of the Nikon binocular quite a lot last year. But raised it again. Today, I sent an inquiry about their willingness to sell it to me for the price they took at the time. That means the Nikon binocular only would cost £ 72.84 ($ 104.19) more than the Meopta.

Remember that I already own three other Nikon products; 8x32 SE, Fieldscope ED82 and Fieldscope ED50. I really like the optics in all three. Moreover, I love the fast and precise focus of the ED82!

What do you say about this?

By the way, the Meopta 7x42 should arrive tomorrow .... :t:

Last edited:
I can't answer your question about comparing the Meopta to the Nikon HGL, I'm a Nikon fan to BTW, but I am really looking forward to your review of the 7x42 Meopta when it arrives. I to am in the market for a good 7x42.
John

I have had the Meopta for a few hours now. This is what I thought about the Meopta vs Nikon 8x32 SE:

Sharpness: Nikon SE
Edge sharpness: Meopta
Colors: Nikon SE
Focusing: Both (or none)
Stability: Meopta
In my hands: Both
Brightness: Meopta
Contrast: Nikon SE
Backlighting properties: Both
CA: Nikon SE
Depth Of Field: Meopta

Result: Nikon-Meopta 7-7 :clap:

Few comments also:

Sharpness: I thought the Nikon was clearly sharper. Perhaps thanks to the higher contrast, less depth of field and higher magnification.

Edge sharpness: The Meopta has very good edge sharpness. The Nikon SE also has a good edge sharpness, but shows little blur far out into the edge. In practice negligible!

Colors: For me, the Nikon SE is as neutral as a binocular can be. It sees what I see. The Meopta on the other hand has (just as has been pointed out earlier in the thread) a yellow bias. I thought the yellow bias was obvious and somewhat disturbing. Perhaps that impression was reinforced as I switched between the Meopta and the Nikon SE (which for me is neutral).

Focusing: The Nikon is very smooth when it is not cold outside. Is it cold, it becomes stiff. The focus of the Meopta is not optimal either, I think. A little stiff also. But perhaps because it is brand new.

Stability: The Meopta win this battle, thanks to its lower magnification. It may be a slightly calmer picture, but after my experiment with holding the Nikon SE, the difference is not so great.

In my hands: Both are excellent in this regard. They are comfortable in various ways.

Brightness: Both are good, but the Meopta is still a bit brighter for natural reasons.

Contrast: The Nikon is a clear winner here.

Backlighting properties: Both seems to be excellent, at least in the quick test I did today. No winner in this regard.

CA: I watched a white, very bright white buoy a bit out to sea. With the Nikon SE retained buoy its white color, while with the Meopta I experienced parts of the buoy as blue. I recognized it as CA.

DOF: Although the Nikon SE is good in this respect has the Meopta still greater depth.

Conclusion: The Meopta is a very nice pair of binoculars. Now I have not compared it side by side with the Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss .. but I am of the opinion that it does not really match them (optically). Perhaps am I wrong because I do not have much experience of the three top brands. But it is clear that my Nikon SE is more neutral and have better contrast. The Meopta is sharp, but the Nikon SE is razor sharp!

Both are pleasant to look in. I thought, however, that the Meopta would have a clear advantage here, but every time I used the Nikon SE it felt so natural to my eyes.

So..should I keep the Meopta? The answer is...probably not! One reason is the yellow color cast. I also have a Nikon Fieldscope ED82. The color presentation in ED82 compared with the color presentation in the Meopta is quite different. I would like them to be more equal. And the second reason is the focus to some extent that I felt was not perfect. However, I can not but recommend the binocular to all who want a good companion. Personally, I will probably look further for a more suitable candidate.

And the search continues in the morning as a package with a Nikon 8x42 HG L arrives.. |=)|

Last edited:
I have started a new thread about Meopta versus Nikon SE. The thread is called "Meopta 7x42 versus Nikon 8x32 SE - what I found!"

This thread can thus be seen as CLOSED!

/Kingfisher

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back