• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newby Help Needed (1 Viewer)

DKarloff

I just joined the BirdForum - live in Virginia (USA) on the Chesapeake Bay area. I want to buy a set of binoculars to better observe the birds in my yard and the nearby woods. I have no idea what to look for and what features are important. My Bird Store is recommending the Eagle Optics Denali 8 X 42 which is what they sell ($159) but I don't want to blindly follow their advice without looking to others. Any ideas? Help? Many thanks in advance.

By the way, the blue birds from last year's clutches have stayed here through the winter and they are a delight to see fluttering around.

Dania

Hi Dania,
Welcome to Bird forum!
It depends on how much money you want to spend. Generally speaking, where optics are concerned, you get what you pay for.

The 8 x 42 format that is recommended is an excellent choice for a first binocular. The Eagle Denali is a budget priced binocular. There are many better ones that cost much more, of course, but it should perform adequately. And Eagle Optics has an excellent warranty. If you are serious about this hobby, you may save more money in the long run by getting a better one now, rather than upgrading at a later time. Why don't you do a bit of research yourself on Eagle's website and look at a number of 8 x 42's there? They sell binoculars made by almost all manufacturers.

www.eagleoptics.com. Also check out the link to their "Technical Guide"

Without a doubt, there will be others posting here giving you more specifics concerning your needs!
Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
Hi Dania,
You live in a great spot to watch birds. If you're interested in the ~$300 range, I absolutely LOVE my Swift 8.5x44 Audubons (mine are roof prism but they offer both).
Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back