• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Bath (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

Has anyone experienced of seeing their own garden birds use the Bird Bath for bathing in.

Currently, I have seen Blackbirds Male and Females bath on their own. Woodpigeons who love to bath, and sit in the bath. Starlings who have a bath in a crowd. Someone told me that have a Robin who likes a wash on a daily basis.

Anyone seen any other birds who seem to like being so hygienically clean?

I have found the Starlings by far are the cleanest with the attitude of "one in all in" and then the Blackbirds. One of the funniest sights we had was two collared doves sat still in the bath at the same time until a Starling decided this was the time he wanted a bath, it somehow managed to squeeze between the pair of them and had water flying in all directions at this point one of the collared doves opened out its wing and took great delight in having its "armpit " showered.

With the bath being just a bit too deep for the little birds, I use an old plastic saucer tray [type from underneath pot plants] for them and it has been used by BT,GT and Robin.

My Bird Baths are used regularly by the following:

Starlings
Sparrows
Pigeons
Wood Pigeons
Magpies

The Pigeons and Wood Pigeons like to soak after a wash; the Starlings splash the most and provide a shower for the Sparrows. Magpies are like the Starlings except they go back and forth; they splash around, fly onto the fence, fly back to the bird bath. Four or five trips seems common for the Magpies to have one wash.

There are some pics in this thread of some of the birds bathing, if you are interested.

I've watched bluetits and robins sitting in a tree whilst the blackbird is bathing. They will start to shake their wings, and as soon as the bath is empty, come down for their turn, almost as if they've suddenly remembered-''oh, I've not had a wash today either''!

I have 2 birdbaths, 1 on a stand and a shallow one on the floor. They are both used by Blackbirds, Starlings, Collared Doves, Woodpigeons. The Goldfinches and Greenfinches use them to drink from. I quite often set my camera up by one of them and photograph them bathing, It never fails to make me smile watching them

These pictures might make you smile; they are all taken through double glazing I'm afraid.

The first 4 pics are examples of Sparrows getting a shower thanks to the Starlings. Also pic 3 and 4 show a Sparrow with it's neck twisted back to front to wash it's head.

I included picture 5 because the Sparrow in the water looks like a Duckling.:)

Attachments

• BBath1.JPG
    BBath1.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 137
  • BBath2.JPG
    BBath2.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 117
  • BBath3.JPG
    BBath3.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 120
  • BBath4.JPG
    BBath4.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 111
  • BBath5.JPG
    BBath5.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 135
What a brilliant idea. When I get my new house, I'm going to get a bird bath for the garden and watch which birds come to it. I always manage to get little robins about every garden I go to, so maybe this will attract more?

What a brilliant idea. When I get my new house, I'm going to get a bird bath for the garden and watch which birds come to it. I always manage to get little robins about every garden I go to, so maybe this will attract more?

In my experience a Bird Bath is the cheapest entertainment you can get. You only pay once, then it's just keep it filled with water. You'll also find you get unexpected drinkers; I have seen cats and squirrels drink from mine.

Food is important for wildlife, but so is water, especially during dry periods. Also, many birds really do love to splash around.:)

I have found the Starlings by far are the cleanest with the attitude of "one in all in" and then the Blackbirds. One of the funniest sights we had was two collared doves sat still in the bath at the same time until a Starling decided this was the time he wanted a bath, it somehow managed to squeeze between the pair of them and had water flying in all directions at this point one of the collared doves opened out its wing and took great delight in having its "armpit " showered.

With the bath being just a bit too deep for the little birds, I use an old plastic saucer tray [type from underneath pot plants] for them and it has been used by BT,GT and Robin.

Hi Marmot

Love what you have said about the Pigeons and the Starlings. That must have been really funny to see all the 'push and shove' for water space between birds.
I think a plant saucer would be a good idea for the samller birds - it makes sense.

I will think of a place to put the saucer, as I do not want to make the birds exposed to cats or anything else that might hurt them.

So the plant saucer version works - I like the idea a lot.

My mother had a large hollow seashell in her garden, and it would be full of water from th rain or when my mum filled it, and the Blackies loved to bath in the shell. So shape of the bird bath does not come into it at all. ;)

We just have the basic plastic bath like what Chris has in her bird bath photos, (good photos too) , and all the birds Love it.

My birdbath has the following regular visitors:

Robin (male and female)
House Finches
Purple Finches
Cardinal (male and female)
Eastern Bluebirds (family with 4 babies about 2 weeks old)
Starlings
Mockingbird

When I put in a sunken shallow dish filled with water the other day it took a very short time for the blackbirds to bathe in it - they were actually queuing up to use it! That was really great to see!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back