• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID confirmation needed (Poland) (1 Viewer)

On the supposed Garden Warbler I say no because:
Although the bill shows a darker underside to the lower mandible, it is still too thin and overall too horn yellow, unlike Garden Warbler.
The white eyering is especially behind the eye broad, unlike Garden Warbler.
The colour, although a bit overexposed is pale brown; a Garden Warbler has darker colour.
Leg colour is not dark green/grey either but yellow grey.
The tail is not square cut but from the central tailfeathers outwards, the one pair being a bit longer than the next symetrical pair, which results in a bit rounded tail.
So it is a Marsh Warbler.

Last edited:
namq said:
Are you 100% sure that 6960 in post #61 is not a Garden Warbler? There is one person (a very experienced birder) who says that it is a Garden Warbler.

BTW, while searching through my old photos I've found this - I'm not completely sure what it is...

I agree with Gerdwicher, your friend is wrong. Its a marsh warbler, and certainly not a garden warbler.

Thank you!

This photo is not mine - it's my friend's - but also taken in Poland. She asked me to help, but I'm not sure - the bird is too little... Is it maybe a Song Thrush?

Attachments

• ptak.jpg
    ptak.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 140
Hmm.. I didn't think it was so hard. No answer.
Maybe someone will just point several possible species? Thanks in advance.

not a wheatear. firstly biotop is totally wrong (w. prefers open country, not gardens), then bill is too big for a juv wheatear and then plumage is wrong too. but it must be a member of the turdidae (not necessarily turdinae?)

For Spotted Flycatcher, the bill would not be right: in juvenile plumage all black.(and so on)
For Northern Wheatear : no the bill is black in that species as well (and so on)
I even considered the pipits but no, compared to the background thingies and again the bill of the bird, it s too big for that.

I dd say its a very young fieldfare ( I say it whispering) with its tailfeathers still in the shaft: bill is okay for that among the thrushes and in juvenile plumage it still has a whitish greater covert band. Spotted on the upperparts and underparts in that plumage.
abundant in Poland. ( even more than Mistle Thrush)

The author of the photo admitted its' parents were more similar to a Thrush than to a Wheatear - unfortunately she has no photos - that's all I know from her :)

Some more photos taken today:

1. Green Sandpiper ?
2. Whimbrel ?
3. :)
4. Willow Tit ?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• _MG_8419_id.jpg
    _MG_8419_id.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 116
  • _MG_8621.jpg
    _MG_8621.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 111
  • _MG_8744.jpg
    _MG_8744.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 118
  • _MG_8920_id.jpg
    _MG_8920_id.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 83
1. Greenshank
2. Whimbrel
3. Tricky - might be Savi's Warbler
4. Hard (for me at least!) to say if it's Marsh or Willow Tit on this picture

I'd agree with above:
1. Greenshank in winter plumage - slightly upturned bill, 'green' legs, dark loral stripe.
2. Whimbrel - shorter bill, distinctive crown pattern.
3. Marsh Warbler - buff wash to underparts, pale legs and dark claws.
4. Willow Tit - extensive white cheek patch, larger black bib, less mantle, pale edgings to secondaries and tertials, rounded tail tip.

Thanks for the IDs! All of them besides No. 1 (Greenshank) are new to me :)

About the bird in post #84: I've seen some photos of imm. Spotted Flycatchers and it seems to fit (the bill also). I have to find the photo of imm. Spotted Flycatchers with their parents...

Some more photos taken today:
1. Caspian Tern ?
2. Golden Plover ??
3. Ruff ?
4. Turnstone + Redshank ?
5. ?

Thanks in advance. More to follow :)

Attachments

• CaspianTern.jpg
    CaspianTern.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 68
  • GoldenPlover.jpg
    GoldenPlover.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Ruff.jpg
    Ruff.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Turnstone+RedShank.jpg
    Turnstone+RedShank.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 78
  • unkn1.jpg
    unkn1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 98
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back