• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID this small bird please (1 Viewer)

Tav94

Saw this on the cliffedge at Padstow long way off could this be a Wheatear or something else.

Attachments

• IMG_7701_filtered_1.jpg
    IMG_7701_filtered_1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 493
Not a wheatear or black redstart in my opinion.
I've enhanced the image a bit, but don't think I can detect a wheatear supercilium. Willing to be corrected, as usual.

Attachments

• IMG_7701_filtered_1[1]_IMG_7701_filtered_1[1].jpg
    IMG_7701_filtered_1[1]_IMG_7701_filtered_1[1].jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_7701_filtered_2.jpg
    IMG_7701_filtered_2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Well its a chat.... it looks more like a Wheatear than a Black Red. It appears to be a female Northern Wheatear - a bit of a surprise if it was taken today - its normally the males that come in first.

Thanks Jane i thought that it might be a Wheatear,i saw this this morning at around 9 am this morning at Stepper Point whilst looking for the Gyr Falcon meny thanks.

Did you get a better view than this, Tav, because I'm not convinced ID can be conclusive on this one photo? If you saw the bird well then yes, could be Wheatear, but this photo could be made into any chat. I've had a play with it and I can't rule out Robin.

Graham

I think it looks a Black Redstart, looks too dumpy and not long bodied or upright enough for wheatear although it could be the angle. After esmond enhancing no colours come out, just sooty grey. If it was my camera I would expect some colours to come out.
It appears to have pale undertail coverts and vent area, maybe like 1st winter or immature. Dark area on wing is consistent with B redstart.
Look at the wintering atlas in BTO, with 3+ registered in 86, good rocky area for wintering B redstarts.

Last edited:
Hmm thats the strangest-looking female Wheatear I've ever seen. Look at the colour of it! Sooty grey as Steven says.

Black Red for me if anything.

Attachments

• IMG_7701_filtered_1[1].JPG
    IMG_7701_filtered_1[1].JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 253
Hi Josh,

don't think that pic proves anything about the colours, but personally I'm seeing what Jono sees - a wheatear-shaped bird.

Might back-track here. Beginning to think Wheatear because of the contrast between the closed primaries and the flank, the flank looks very pale compared to the primaries, isn't that reminiscent of Wheatear? Also, the undertail coverts look pale, though it's hard to see from that shot.
*changes mind, steps into Wheatear rank*.

Going by the detail you can see in the plant on the left, I think that if there were any obvious markings on it, they we'd be able to see them. Also, the colours in the surounding lichens and plants suggest we would be able to see any colour on the bird, if there was any. Going by this, its not a wheatear because its sooty black all over.

I'll go with a fat, squatting Black Redstart, or a wierd robin

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back