• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's happened to the hummers this year? (1 Viewer)

JMomOhio

I live in southern Ohio and usually get about 5 pairs of hummers every year! This year a male came in and it's only been a few weeks since I finally saw a female. Everyone I know who keeps hummingbird feeders is saying the same thing. Anyone know why there are so few this year?

Some folks in neighborhood saying the same. Have the same as past three years, 2 widely seperated females and sporadic males. Thats plenty for us, should be fledges here soon. Really wonder if dry climate this year has concentrated them in areas were water is easily noticed.

Fall migration is when my feeders are the busiest! It should be interesting to see how many come thru this year! Very strange!

Pretty much the same here. Early warm weather this past spring seemed to cut down the numbers of "pop ins", before the regulars showed up. We'll see birds coming up mississippi flyway in April, some days there will be close a dozen scampering about. Then over the next couple/few days, few if any will be seen. Regulars, on average show up around the first week in may.

We are about normal for hummingbirds coming to our feeders. But I see friends on facebook in our area still waiting for hummers to show.

We live near a large pond and I run my sprinklers daily so there is plenty of water and the trees are green and healthy. I too wonder if the dry weather has them clustered around the water and flowering plants that are getting water.

We are about normal for hummingbirds coming to our feeders. But I see friends on facebook in our area still waiting for hummers to show.

We live near a large pond and I run my sprinklers daily so there is plenty of water and the trees are green and healthy. I too wonder if the dry weather has them clustered around the water and flowering plants that are getting water.

Pretty much too late here to keep the yard green. Have been sprinkling for the birds benefit. Wonderfully balmy 107F (42C) at the moment has brought out numbers of different passerines to enjoy a shower & drink today. Water seems to loosen up some invertebrates that robins, flickers, and others enjoy also. Nearby creek has run dry, feel obligated to help out a bit with water.

Male Ruby-throats are out in force exceeding normal daily average, was 4 just a short while ago. Not sure if water or maybe broods in area fledged, with females being less territorial as a result and responsible for the jump upward in numbers. Find out about fledges next few days.

Late and few in Cincinnati

I expected them in early April this year - they showed up in late May. Down from 3 pairs and a spare to what appears to be 1 pair (or 1 male and 2 females) and an extra female I'm not sure about (posted in bird ID forum).

Since they migrate, one could possibly correlate their migration area weather with either fewer surviving migration or other factors (water, temperature, vegetation response to weather) that cause them to stop short or move further on. I'm kinda disappointed - I really hoped for a crowd this year.

Dyane in Cinci

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back