• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mull Top Sites (1 Viewer)

barryj

I'm off to Gretna and then Mull in a couple of weeks and wondered if anyone could recommend a few sites worth heading for.

I would recommend you have a look at Grasspoint on Mull. There is a new parking area just before you get to Grasspoint itself. From here you have good views across the estuary and surrounding area. You will be very unlucky not to get White-tailed Eagle from here.
The South shore of Loch na Keal is also good for White-tailed and Golden Eagle, but you can see both almost anywhere on the island.

Have a look at this link http://www.mullbirds.com/index.html

Just drive round lots to see, otters by the pontoon, eagles everywhere. Best thing we did was book a tour with DiscoverMull, a cracking day out and gave us an idea where to look for everything from Otters to Orchids (as well as Eagles)
If you want to go to Loch Frisa, either be prepared for a long walk or book well in advance (like before you go - we didn't and missed it)

Vipers said:
I would recommend you have a look at Grasspoint on Mull. There is a new parking area just before you get to Grasspoint itself. From here you have good views across the estuary and surrounding area. You will be very unlucky not to get White-tailed Eagle from here.
The South shore of Loch na Keal is also good for White-tailed and Golden Eagle, but you can see both almost anywhere on the island.

Have a look at this link http://www.mullbirds.com/index.html
Thanks Gary we will definitely take a look.

Gramayr said:
Just drive round lots to see, otters by the pontoon, eagles everywhere. Best thing we did was book a tour with DiscoverMull, a cracking day out and gave us an idea where to look for everything from Otters to Orchids (as well as Eagles)
If you want to go to Loch Frisa, either be prepared for a long walk or book well in advance (like before you go - we didn't and missed it)

Hi Gramayr, where is the location of the pontoon you refer to regarding otters? We are off to Mull in a few weeks time.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave. I think the pontoon Gramayr mentioned, is a floating jetty on the south shore of Loch na Keal. We saw two otters and a Great Northern Diver there on our first day on Mull. So not a bad start to the week. We also saw Otters between Salen and Aros river and on the North shore of Loch Beg.

Here are a couple of pics to wet your appetite.

Attachments

• W T Eagle 2.jpg
    W T Eagle 2.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 222
  • Otter 1 BF.jpg
    Otter 1 BF.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 230
Vipers said:
Hi Dave. I think the pontoon Gramayr mentioned, is a floating jetty on the south shore of Loch na Keal. We saw two otters and a Great Northern Diver there on our first day on Mull. So not a bad start to the week. We also saw Otters between Salen and Aros river and on the North shore of Loch Beg.

Here are a couple of pics to wet your appetite.

Thanks for the info Vipers, I know where you mean now. We will be renting a cottage quite close to that pontoon. Good photos.

Thanks

Dave

Agree, On Loch Na Keal for Eagles, peregrine and Otter. Loch Schridain which is next Loch round also good for same species. Grasspoint and Lochdon area good for various Raptors aswell as WTE's. Divers on either of Loch's already mentioned and also Carsaig Bay. Glen More and Road East good for Eagles aswell. Loch Buie for Otters and Divers. Also agree on Discover Mull tours bein excellent and ive always used them. Worth remembering that best time to spot otters are on sheltered sides of Sea Lochs if wind/tide etc and often the 3-4 hours after Low tide(when tide coming in) for best chances. We found they often like rain aswell, which handy in Mull!!
All above was successful for us late May early June this year so hopefully these areas will be for you. If you need any other info feel free to PM/Email and ill do my best.
Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back