• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Eye Image Sight Locater (1 Viewer)

Reader

I have a beef with Eagle Eye. I purchased the said locater and a few weeks later the actual sight barrel came adrift, without my knowledge. Obviously it has been lost. I had an occasion to send my scope adapter back for repair and mentioned the fact that I had lost the locater. Their answer was that they can only supply the item complete, which I find absolutely ludicrous.

This locater comes in three parts (if you include the large rubber band). If you buy something that comes in different parts surely they would have a system whereby if you lost, or damaged, one of those parts you could replace it. This locater is very expensive, for what it is, but to compound it even more by not stocking replacement parts smacks of profiteering.

What do you think?

That is very disappointing to hear John. Was it made by Eagle Eye itself or are they just the middle man? If the latter is the case, perhaps you could contact the manufacturer and see what they can do for you.

I'm not sure if it was made by them. I think they might be the middle man but if they are then they are the sole distributors. There is nowhere on the sight locater instructions that says who manufactures it, only Eagle Eye's name is on it.

If Eagle Eye are the manufacturer then it stinks of profiteering as they could easily replace a part. Then again the same could be said if they are the sole distributor. They can lay down the law to the manufacturer on how they want to do business. Either way I am hopping mad that I have spent well over £30 for a useless piece of junk, for that is what it is without the missing part.

I'm 99% sure it's actually made by Eagle Eye..... doesn't seem logical to me that they can't supply the tube.
I've just asked them for some new rubber bands for the I.L.S. (they've perished away after a year or two)..... Let's hope they can supply them individually!

Andy

The answer I got from Eagle Eye (signed by Mr C Bonacci) was, and I quote.

"With regards the lost section of the Image Locating Sight, I am afraid that we do not sell spares for that product, they are manufactured as complete units only".

What do you think of that then?

You know this chap don't you. Any chance of asking him why he doesn't keep spares when it is obvious that this sort of accident can happen? You said yourself, at the mods meeting, that other people have lost their locater so it isn't anything unusual with this product.

Sorry to hear about your problem with Eagle-eye. For what it is worth, I made my own for the Nikon 990, Swarovski 80HD combination - the cost - about 75p and it works beautifully.
I was able to take some pics of the marsh Harrier at Minsmere yesterday just to see if it worked on aerial shots. I was able to pick up the bird almost immediately and follow it with the sighter. At about 200-300 yards the image is not brilliant but it proved to me that the sighter works. If you are interested I am putting a pic on my website, later today that illustrates the sighter. Don,t laugh!!! It is a downpipe bracket with a bolt screwed through it- Heath Robinson but effective. I also explain on my website how it was calibrated. http://members.lycos.co.uk/pelecanus
John (JWM)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back