• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do the Apo HG play in the same league as the true alphas? (1 Viewer)

My 8x43 HG has 'Made in Germany' printed on the focusing wheel. The serial number on the label is 3900XXXX and it has the US Patent No. below that.

I find that they are very bright but have rather a lot of CA unless the eyepieces are located perfectly in my eye sockets. The focusing is quick and accurate but I seem to spend a lot of time continually adjusting the focus (shallow DOF?) They feel well constructed and are very light. However, I use my Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN most of the time as they just feel 'right' to me.

Ron

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

I was comparing the 8x33 as I have that size across several of my most used bins.

I never really got on with the 8x43 HG either and much prefer the smaller model, but my daughter who wears glasses for astigmatism tried out several options and found the MIJ 8x43 set best for her, so a simple transfer to her cleared space for me and she got a free set of bins to treck round Scotland.

I don't get any CA problems with the 8x43 HG MIG, but since they are a very tight fit for my eye sockets I assume they must be pretty well self centreing, the first real advantage I have found for the heavy bone protection around my eyes!

Since they don't do the APOs in 8x33 I probably don't have an interest any more. Pity I rather fancied the nice wooden box they come with. Never mind the quality - feel the wood.

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

I was comparing the 8x33 as I have that size across several of my most used bins.

I never really got on with the 8x43 HG either and much prefer the smaller model, but my daughter who wears glasses for astigmatism tried out several options and found the MIJ 8x43 set best for her, so a simple transfer to her cleared space for me and she got a free set of bins to treck round Scotland.

I don't get any CA problems with the 8x43 HG MIG, but since they are a very tight fit for my eye sockets I assume they must be pretty well self centreing, the first real advantage I have found for the heavy bone protection around my eyes!

Since they don't do the APOs in 8x33 I probably don't have an interest any more. Pity I rather fancied the nice wooden box they come with. Never mind the quality - feel the wood.
What do MIG and MIJ mean?

Enviado desde mi ONE E1003 mediante Tapatalk

Jerry, that is a bit harsh .....

The x43 HG APO's are arguably Alpha class ...... Made In Germany, top grade Schott fluorite ED glass, aspheric lenses and top quality construction. Having a silver based prism coating, they perhaps lack the last ~3-5% of brightness of the leading Zeiss SF and HT, but that still puts them on about a par with the Nikon EDG, and with a similar warm view too. Fov is very good in the 10x, and good in the 8x. ER is good, very nice focusing and the light weight is class leading exceptional.

Perhaps the only thing they have sometimes been 'pinged' on in all the material I have ever read on them is skimping on the prisms so that there is a few percent truncation evident. Having said that, they do have genuine 43 mm objectives which would compensate somewhat, and nice dark exit pupil surrounds.

http://www.optics4birding.com/minox-apo-hg-binoculars-review.aspx

https://translate.googleusercontent...-8x43/&usg=ALkJrhiiG3insm6knR_XaSIm-HREJLrnPg

https://translate.googleusercontent...10x43/&usg=ALkJrhiVWdt_Ztwoo3sGHyWzw9C-CYY5vA

I think one of the major popularity problems may lie in the ~$1800 pricing point ...... With more buyers opting for slightly more brightness (Zeiss HT) and flatter, slightly wider fields of the Zeiss SF, and Swaro SV at the cost of greater weight and expense.

Chosun :gh:

Yep... IMO that is THE reason folks aren't buying them. If one can afford $1800, one can probably add a little more for one of the top dogs. ALSO...I'd have to be on drugs to buy a HG APO over a Swarovski SLC.

Yep... IMO that is THE reason folks aren't buying them. If one can afford $1800, one can probably add a little more for one of the top dogs. ALSO...I'd have to be on drugs to buy a HG APO over a Swarovski SLC.
Why? 10,5 ft near focus, eye relief only 16mm, heavier..

Why? 10,5 ft near focus, eye relief only 16mm, heavier..

Really personal preference and familiarity with the product. It's not too often I use a really close focus so that wouldn't be an issue. I really didn't realize the eye relief was only 16mm. 16mm is on the fence as far as eye relief goes...it can go either way. I can use my older 10X42s SLC with glasses without too much of an problem. I'll quantify my statement that if one doesn't wear glasses for a $1800 binocular choice a SLC would be an easy recommendation.

Really personal preference and familiarity with the product. It's not too often I use a really close focus so that wouldn't be an issue. I really didn't realize the eye relief was only 16mm. 16mm is on the fence as far as eye relief goes...it can go either way. I can use my older 10X42s SLC with glasses without too much of an problem. I'll quantify my statement that if one doesn't wear glasses for a $1800 binocular choice a SLC would be an easy recommendation.
The fact is that I can get a peor of Minox new ones for 1000 euros.. Any better option for that price? Slc's are 1500..

Last edited:
To cover Davids comment: Comparing a fairly recent standard (non APO) HG with its earlier sibling, the recent one has Made in Germany on the focus ring, a serial number in the range 53001xxx and a US patent number below the serial. The early version has Apheric Lens Technology engraved instead of the Made in Germany marking, has a serial 53000xx and No US patent number. This is in addition to the different eye pieces. The older design is better from my point of view as it has smaller eyecups that help make up for the narrower field of view.
I must admit that I havn't met anyone who has owned the APO version, just trying binoculars in a shop environment never works for me.
Comparing the HG to an FL the FL wins in the optical stakes as you might hope, however, the focussing action is such that I can achieve sharp focus on the Minox faster, I am beginning to get interested in playing with an APO ......

My 8x43 HG has 'Made in Germany' printed on the focusing wheel. The serial number on the label is 3900XXXX and it has the US Patent No. below that.

I find that they are very bright but have rather a lot of CA unless the eyepieces are located perfectly in my eye sockets. The focusing is quick and accurate but I seem to spend a lot of time continually adjusting the focus (shallow DOF?) They feel well constructed and are very light. However, I use my Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN most of the time as they just feel 'right' to me.

Ron

Thread resurrection on the SN/dates. Not as if the Minox folder is abuzz w/chatter. The MIJ indeed seems to have Aspheric Lens Technology engraved instead of the Made in Germany. I'm curious if that extended to after the move as such to Germany for final assembly/inspection whatever before changing over to MIG.

Newer models then would seem to be 8 digits w/older 7. I wonder about the first four digits of the SN. The first two are different, 53/39 in your examples, though w/me limited research the #3 & #4 digit is 00, again as in your examples 5300/3900. Perhaps the extra digit in the newer models accounts for extra room as production increases over the years.

I would venture to guess the last four digits older bin last 5 newer bin, at least non-APO, identify the bin w/perhaps the first two a code on the date of manufacture. Maybe not. With 99 numbers available Minox would have no problem running out of models in the sports optic line. I cannot find any information on date/SN for Minox online.

W/me 4100XXXX I see CA/purple right at the very edge if I tilt the bins or move eyes to look for it. I can roam the eyeball around noting a tiny sliver of yellow ring. In normal viewing I wouldn't tilt the bins or move eyes to the very edge. I can see yellow/purple fringes on branches if I move close to the sun. Slight in the center though.

Though at 19.3mm there's tonnes of ER.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back