• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

Pair of Bullfinches today. Blackbird numbers are up and there's plenty of Jays around too. Marsh Tit still regular but Green and Goldfinches seem to have disappeared.

Rich

Was just about to line up the female Bully for a photo this morning when the electrician arrived - sod it!:-O

Starling in the garden was the firs of the year - I think. Marsh Tit still around and good to see a Goldcrest in the conifers.

Rich

October 28, 2017
St. Joseph, Missouri, USA

From our kitchen window:
From 8:45 AM - 9:45 AM

Carolina Wren
White-breasted Nuthatch
Black-capped Chickadee
American Goldfinch
American Robin
House Finch
Dark-eyed Junco
House Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
White-throated Sparrow

I had 2 Carolina Wrens show back up today on the suet blocks, both chose the mealworm. They sat around calling for awhile. Was so nice to hear their songs again.

Still having several Carolina Chickadees and Titmouse back today too. Got their favorite sunflower hearts in the feeder. Sometimes it sounds like they laughing like a hyena to me. I wish the Titmouse would sit still longer.

My first returning Siskins this Winter on the niger, 2 males...fed for about 15 mins. before the off, of course they may just be transient....time will tell.

Cheers

Nuthatches getting more infrequent now, only seeing them once or twice a day now. First for the year with a GSW on and off for a few days now, Wren (s) flitting around and 8+ Coal Tits hogging the feeders. Starlings starting to show up now. No winter stuff arrived here yet, feeders very busy with the resident species though.

Tons of action at the (ground) "feeder" today. There are the regulars waiting around for me in the morning—CA scrub-jays, CA towhees, white-crowned sparrows, house sparrows, Eurasian collared doves, mourning doves (very few though). The CA thrasher eventually came around, and even the CA quails have been coming around more often. One common raven even came around, so satisfied taking one little piece for such a huge bird.

The solo/rarer birds all made an appearance too—white-breasted nuthatch, spotted towhee, song sparrow, bewick's wren. Even a new face appeared, the American pipit. He seems to like the suet feeder. Happy to see the solo song sparrow and bewick's wren seem to be becoming regulars too.

What a stark contrast from this summer when I almost stopped feeding them altogether! My only regular that's been missing is the northern mockingbird. I know he's still around. Also, only a brief appearance from 1 squirrel (it'll be short-lived, I'm sure).

Last edited:
Last weekend we had 4 Nuthatches which was a record for our garden. They did squabble like Robins though.

Today a few Redwing flew over and the Sprawk flew through scattering everything.

Rich

Last weekend we had 4 Nuthatches which was a record for our garden. They did squabble like Robins though.
Rich

Maximum I've had Rich is three, and rarely two together, as you say.....they're very intolerant of each other. Protocol being "one off the feeder..then one on", rarely together, and the "in the queue" arriving bird normally announces it's arrival (perhaps hoping to intimidate the feeding bird) with plenty of vocal!

Cheers

Maximum I've had Rich is three, and rarely two together, as you say.....they're very intolerant of each other. Protocol being "one off the feeder..then one on", rarely together, and the "in the queue" arriving bird normally announces it's arrival (perhaps hoping to intimidate the feeding bird) with plenty of vocal!

Cheers
I think the resident pair are fairly tolerant of each other Ken. Anything more than 2 though and there's an issue;)

Rich

Treecreeper and long staying Marsh Tit still in the garden this morning:t: I keep looking for big finches but nothing yet:-O

Chaffinch numbers have been increasing so have kept an eye out for a possible Brambling and sure enough a male this morning. Happy days.

Also Song Thrush and Goldcrest

Last edited:
Chaffinch numbers have been increasing so have kept an eye out for a possible Brambling and sure enough a male this morning. Happy days.

Also Song Thrush and Goldcrest
I generally struggle to see Brambling Dave - I don't think that many head this far West. About 8 years ago was the last time I saw one in the garden:eek!:

We had 2 female Bullies yesterday and 2 males today.

Rich

I generally struggle to see Brambling Dave - I don't think that many head this far West. About 8 years ago was the last time I saw one in the garden:eek!:

We had 2 female Bullies yesterday and 2 males today.

Rich

The latter is the rarest finch for me so far this year....just the one sighting (male/female)....so here's hoping. :smoke:

It's been 8 or 9 years since I saw a Treecreeper in the garden so to have one a few minutes ago is pretty cool. Unfortunately a Blue Tit chased it off fairly sharpish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back