• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Banded Piping Plovers - sharing observations (1 Viewer)

Mark B Bartosik

Hi All,

After a few years following and observing banded (not only) Piping Plovers in two Texas counties (Galveston and Brazoria) I have resighted over two hundred banded birds (5 of them from Great Lakes population). Some of them became almost ’friends’. Although Texas (and south range) is called ’winter’ grounds Piping Plovers spend here large part of the year (many from July to April and few even into first days of May). So I have opportunity to watch them closely and document their behaviors, molt, movements, etc.

Maybe a long shot but if some of you have met or will meet some of ‘my’ pipers I would love to hear from you and perhaps share stories about individual birds. Especially from their breeding sites but as well from winter spots as many are just passing through ‘my’ territory during migration. Perhaps some were seen between breeding and wintering grounds. I will appreciate any information posted here or send via email to mbb22222 at aol dot com.

Ideal scenario would be if this thread become a home to Piping Plover lovers who could post and exchange their observations about banded birds.

Here is a link to the table of all banded PIPLs I saw - it is updated from time to time
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/159726481/original
Because photo collage is quite large I chopped it into a few parts to post it here. I also included in alphabetic order a list of alpha-numeric and engraved green flags (those are very hard to read in the field but it can be done in good light) for easy reference.

Best regards,

Mark

Attachments

• PIPL ANF.jpg
    PIPL ANF.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 69
  • PIPL BANDED TABLE p1.jpg
    PIPL BANDED TABLE p1.jpg
    604.4 KB · Views: 76
  • PIPL BANDED TABLE p2.jpg
    PIPL BANDED TABLE p2.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 60
  • PIPL BANDED TABLE p3.jpg
    PIPL BANDED TABLE p3.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 63
  • PIPL BANDED TABLE p4.jpg
    PIPL BANDED TABLE p4.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 61
Looks like interest in Piping Plovers is not so great but if interested here is a new update with over 150 new banded PIPL added.

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/159726481/original

It is a great fall for banded birds including over 120 banded Red Knots that moved along Texas shore so far this season (will make an additional note about this when finish segregating photos; might take a little time)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back