• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds at Play (Long-tailed Tits) (1 Viewer)

NoNara

Japan
I've been meaning to post this for a month, but kept forgetting.

I'm sure lots of us have seen birds, especially raptors, flying and thought, 'They're just doing that because it's fun'.

Last month, I caught these two Long-tailed Tits who were playing with a large white feather they had found. Because it was dark where I saw them, and because they move around fast, I only got a few shots. But they weren't thinking wrongly that this was food; they were clearly playing. They would try to snatch it from each other. They would drop it and let it float a little bit before flying down to catch it again. After a minute or so, they got bored (or were called away) and let it drop to the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_2277.JPG
    IMG_2277.JPG
    636.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2275.JPG
    IMG_2275.JPG
    708.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2279.JPG
    IMG_2279.JPG
    688.6 KB · Views: 39
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back