• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little ringed plover - Breeding plumage in November - South India (1 Viewer)

ajayr

Hi

I was birding in Siruthavur, near Chennai in South India yesterday (18-Nov-2017) and I spotted a couple of little ringed plovers (Charadrius dubius)in their breeding plumage.

I was surprised to see them in breeding plumage at this time of the year. I checked some other friends' posts and noticed that their pics through the years, of this bird in breeding plumage (from this part of the country/world, at least) were also mostly from April/May like mine.

This made me wonder why some birds get their breeding cycles changed. Is it a conscious choice based on factors like food availability? Note: Over here, the rainy season starts in ~late Oct and ends ~late Nov.

Would really appreciate if someone could help by pointing to resources on this. Thanks very much in advance.

Ajay

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back