• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron MM4 60ED vs. Leica Televid APO 62 (1 Viewer)

Mr. Monday

I'm having trouble deciding between these two. SDL v2 on the MM4 and 16-48x on the Televid. It will be used for target spotting, birding, phone scoping, and occasional hunting. Which one would you choose and why?

I'm having trouble deciding between these two. SDL v2 on the MM4 and 16-48x on the Televid. It will be used for target spotting, birding, phone scoping, and occasional hunting. Which one would you choose and why?

Hi, I owned the Leica Televid 62 APO last year with the most current zoom at the time available along with the most current 20x fixed eyepiece. I also owned for a short time the Opticron MM3 50 with the SDL v2 zoom and the lowest fixed 13x eyepiece .... My opinion is there is no way the opticron is in the same class as the Leica 62 APO. The Leica is significantly better built than the Opticron MM's. The Leica zoom and fixed eyepiece's(last current production) before they were discontinued also were considerably in a class above the Opticron. I am not saying the Opticron did not provide a nice view with either their zoom or the one fixed eyepiece I had, it did. Does Opticron make a nice scope ? , yes . Its just not a Leica. When handling the two, as one would expect the Leica had the feel/look of a well made high end solid piece of optical wonder. The Opticron on the other hand though made in Japan when compared to the Leica had the feel of a well made solid toy . If I had to choose which on to take in the field for what ever reason, taking the Leica would be a no brainer.

Last edited:
Hi, I owned the Leica Televid 62 APO last year with the most current zoom at the time available along with the most current 20x fixed eyepiece. I also owned for a short time the Opticron MM3 50 with the SDL v2 zoom and the lowest fixed 13x eyepiece .... My opinion is there is no way the opticron is in the same class as the Leica 62 APO. The Leica is significantly better built than the Opticron MM's. The Leica zoom and fixed eyepiece's(last current production) before they were discontinued also were considerably in a class above the Opticron. I am not saying the Opticron did not provide a nice view with either their zoom or the one fixed eyepiece I had, it did. Does Opticron make a nice scope ? , yes . Its just not a Leica. When handling the two, as one would expect the Leica had the feel/look of a well made high end solid piece of optical wonder. The Opticron on the other hand though made in Japan when compared to the Leica had the feel of a well made solid toy . If I had to choose which on to take in the field for what ever reason, taking the Leica would be a no brainer.

Thank you for the reassurance!

I purchased the Leica 3 days ago and it's currently in transit. It was an emotional decision and I didn't do much research before purchasing it. Now I'm doing research after the fact and it seems like the only other scopes I should have considered are the MM4 60ED and the TSN-663, but it seems like I made the right choice clicking the buy it now button on the Leica the minute I saw it.

I purchased the Leica 3 days ago and it's currently in transit. It was an emotional decision and I didn't do much research before purchasing it. Now I'm doing research after the fact and it seems like the only other scopes I should have considered are the MM4 60ED and the TSN-663, but it seems like I made the right choice clicking the buy it now button on the Leica the minute I saw it.

I had purchased my Leica 62 APO on Ebay with the two eyepieces, the zoom & 20x fixed eyepiece from a fellow who said he really ended up not using it. I took a chance & paid what he wanted, I lucked out. It ended up being new in everyway ... but because the dual focusing wheel(the coarse one) was what I thought to be to hard for me to turn because of my large fingers I ended up re-selling it. I really regretted to having to re-sell it. It was a little gem. Of the two focusing wheels the fine tuning was really nice to use, if the other one was like the fine tuning focuser I would still own it today.

I have owned a Kowa TSN-663, really nice scope. My choice would be the Kowa instead of the MM4.

I have owned a Kowa TSN-663, really nice scope. My choice would be the Kowa instead of the MM4.

That will be my backup if I don't like the Leica.

Edit: I'll save up for a used Kowa TSN-553 if I can't get past the Leica focus knob.

Last edited:
Edit: I'll save up for a used Kowa TSN-553 if I can't get past the Leica focus knob.
If the Kowa TSN-553 actually performed like Kowa claims ? the only way I would payout that kind of money for such a small spotter having such a small Objective Lens, they first would have to come out with some fixed power eyepieces that provided a good amount of eye relief.

May I also suggest another choice in case your recent purchase of the Leica does not work out for you. Since you want to end up with a smaller to medium size spotter that will provide a quality view & give you the confidence to use it outdoors. I would also suggest the Pentax PF ED or the Pentax PR ED series spotting scopes. These scopes are in the same price range or cheaper depending on where they are purchased & when used with the right eyepieces (they will accept other brands of 1.25" eyepieces)will provide a really nice view. I have owned the Pentax PF ED series & now have the Pentax PR ED. I think these scopes are one of the most under rated scopes out there. If you read the post here from members who have actually used one, most will agree. Here is a picture of the Pentax PR ED angled. Its built like a tank. .... I do not work for Pentax , I just have handled a lot scopes.

Attachments

• DSC02687.JPG
    DSC02687.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 168
I agree with you about the Pentax scopes Gwen, I also think they are very much underrated and they are excellent value. Like I said in a previous post. I had the PF80ED, side by side for a week with the Kowa TSN3. I was using the fixed ep's on the Pentax and the 25x60 on the Kowa. I really wanted the Kowa, I could afford it, but I just couldn't justify the price difference. Optically you had to be really critical to tell them apart. Nice scope though the Kowa.

The Pentax PRs are pretty heavy for their size though. A shame because I really like the little PF65. Lovely scope.

Hi Boogie! How are you? I would like to see a PF65, having read great reports. They don't seem to be readily available though. I hardly birdwatch anymore, so my 'big' scope is redundant, but I wanted something small and light to take on more casual walks 'just-in-case'. Only this week I got a 2nd-hand Opticron MM3 60 ED with HDF zoom. I can't compare it to a Televid 62, but I am seriously impressed with the quality. I had it out on a dull day and it performed wonderfully almost up to the max, and the CA control is superb. It feels like a slightly bigger ED50 with a good zoom. I acknowledge Gwen's comment about the robustness/build issue, but I wanted something light so it's just right for me. (My one quibble is that I don't like the dual focus much).

Another - satisfied - APO Televid 62 user here. I have the zoom and 26x WW and in 13 years I haven't found a scope which betters it for me. I don't 'get' the reported focusser problem either - no issues at all?! As has already been said, it's a gem.

Interested to hear your thoughts on receipt.

RB

If the Kowa TSN-553 actually performed like Kowa claims ? the only way I would payout that kind of money for such a small spotter having such a small Objective Lens, they first would have to come out with some fixed power eyepieces that provided a good amount of eye relief.
I think the eyepiece is fixed to the body on the Kowa TSN-553 to save weight. For me thats perfectly fine as long as its a good eyepiece because I don't see myself carrying around multiple eyepieces when a zoom will get the job done 90% of the time. That said, I do wish that they had chosen a wide angle zoom like the TE-11WZ.

May I also suggest another choice in case your recent purchase of the Leica does not work out for you. Since you want to end up with a smaller to medium size spotter that will provide a quality view & give you the confidence to use it outdoors. I would also suggest the Pentax PF ED or the Pentax PR ED series spotting scopes. These scopes are in the same price range or cheaper depending on where they are purchased & when used with the right eyepieces (they will accept other brands of 1.25" eyepieces)will provide a really nice view. I have owned the Pentax PF ED series & now have the Pentax PR ED. I think these scopes are one of the most under rated scopes out there. If you read the post here from members who have actually used one, most will agree. Here is a picture of the Pentax PR ED angled. Its built like a tank. .... I do not work for Pentax , I just have handled a lot scopes.
Actually, the Pentax PF-65ED II was the first scope I saw that I thought would be perfect for my needs but after a couple quick google searches I came to the conclusion that there are excellent fixed EPs for it but no good zoom EPs. Maybe I nixed it too soon.

Hi Boogie! How are you? I would like to see a PF65, having read great reports. They don't seem to be readily available though. I hardly birdwatch anymore, so my 'big' scope is redundant, but I wanted something small and light to take on more casual walks 'just-in-case'. Only this week I got a 2nd-hand Opticron MM3 60 ED with HDF zoom. I can't compare it to a Televid 62, but I am seriously impressed with the quality. I had it out on a dull day and it performed wonderfully almost up to the max, and the CA control is superb. It feels like a slightly bigger ED50 with a good zoom. I acknowledge Gwen's comment about the robustness/build issue, but I wanted something light so it's just right for me. (My one quibble is that I don't like the dual focus much).
I definitely prefer lighter weight over a robust feel. I wonder if this scope gets judged as optically inferior because it's light weight makes it feel like a toy.

Another - satisfied - APO Televid 62 user here. I have the zoom and 26x WW and in 13 years I haven't found a scope which betters it for me. I don't 'get' the reported focusser problem either - no issues at all?! As has already been said, it's a gem.

Interested to hear your thoughts on receipt.

RB
I can't wait to receive it! I'm already trying to decide what fixed EP I should purchase first and what phone adapter will work with my S8.

Last edited:
I can't wait to receive it! I'm already trying to decide what fixed EP I should purchase first and what phone adapter will work with my S8.
The fixed power eyepieces that were available before your Leica 62 APO was discontinued ..... I know about the fixed power 20x eyepiece because I had one, I also believe they made a 32x and a 40x power eyepiece. These eyepieces are not that easy to find now. Almost impossible to find in new condition, I was lucky my 20x came with my original purchase. What made the Pentax PF ED scopes so appealing to many, was the fact that it could use other brands of 1.25" eyepieces besides their own Pentax.

The fixed power eyepieces that were available before your Leica 62 APO was discontinued ..... I know about the fixed power 20x eyepiece because I had one, I also believe they made a 32x and a 40x power eyepiece. These eyepieces are not that easy to find now. Almost impossible to find in new condition, I was lucky my 20x came with my original purchase. What made the Pentax PF ED scopes so appealing to many, was the fact that it could use other brands of 1.25" eyepieces besides their own Pentax.
I'm not too worried about finding the eyepieces, they will show up over time on eBay and classifieds. There's a 16x, 26x, and 32x available for the Televid 62. I'm torn between the 16x and 26x as I don't see myself purchasing a third eyepiece.

Do you know of any good zoom eyepieces for the Pentax?

I'm not too worried about finding the eyepieces, they will show up over time on eBay and classifieds. There's a 16x, 26x, and 32x available for the Televid 62. I'm torn between the 16x and 26x as I don't see myself purchasing a third eyepiece.

I highly recommend the 20x/16 power on your Televid 62. Easily hand held no tripod or monpod needed. For a zoom eyepiece on a Pentax .... All depends on the users eyes. Are eyeglasses worn, if not many more choices open up due to non eye relief issues and if the zoom will focus out correctly. Its been mentioned here/verified that the Vixen LV & NV zooms work well on the Pentax 65. Also great reviews on the Baader zooms. The Baader Mark- I-III zooms did not focus correctly, but the latest Baader Mark-IV zoom is advertised as now having a better chance working correctly on the Pentax 65. That said, I actually have not read any verification of that. Maybe someone here has more information to share about the Baader Mark - IV zoom actually working correctly on a Pentax 65.

Last edited:

The 26xWW is a superb eyepiece and would be the one that I would go for if I was considering a fixed magnification. Saying that, the 16-48x zoom (if you can find one) is also well worth considering and gives good, sharp images even in relatively poor light. As has been said, all accessories, eyepieces etc for the APO Televid 77 & 62 were discontinued some time ago and are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

RB

The 26xWW is a superb eyepiece and would be the one that I would go for if I was considering a fixed magnification. As has been said, all accessories, eyepieces etc for the APO Televid 77 & 62 were discontinued some time ago and are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

RB

I tried to find the 26xWW but was unable to get my hands on one. I sure would have liked to try one but I guess the 26xWW is one of the more desirable fixed eyepieces for the Leica 62 which explains why people are holding on to them.

I started off with the 26xWW but it was quickly superseded by the zoom once I'd experienced the superb optical & mechanical quality of it. The zoom now stays on the scope 24/7 but I too am hanging onto my 26xWW, just in case ... If you can get hold of the latest iteration of the zoom - the one with the locking pin - you won't go far wrong IMHO.

RB

When I was searching for a new or used Leica Televid 62 and its fixed power eyepieces, most of the scopes and few eyepieces I saw were being sold outside of the USA. I always had the thought that probably those original Leica sales were higher in other places around the world and that's why I was having trouble finding what I wanted being a consumer here in the states. Anyone out there that might have worked for Leica, had any involvement with the sales end of the Leica 62 APO before they were discontinued ? Maybe someone here will know in what part of the world their sale numbers were the highest.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back