• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Benro Travel Angel -- or Devil? (1 Viewer)

JLee

Hi birdforum folks,

I have an angled Nikon ED50 arriving on Monday, and the 27xWA eyepiece arriving Wed. I can't wait!

While deciding on the scope/eyepiece was difficult, it wasn't nearly as confusing as the world of tripods!

I'd like one as light as possible, that I can take hiking with my light little scope. The CF Gitzo is too expensive, but the Basalt is in my range (up to $300 for the legs).

Does anyone have experience with this little guy
Benro C-069M8 Travel Angel Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...069M8_Travel_Angel_Carbon.html#specifications

I would have to extend the center col approx. 3 inches -- I need a min. of 48 inches high.

What other suggestions do you have?

Would a "0" series Basalt Gitzo be the better way to go? Or a less-expensive CF?

Would you recommend an anti-rotation plate with this set-up?

Any head recommendations?

I wish I could shop in person, but even the best stores have very few options.

Thanks for your opinions!

Jessica

I first of all want to remind you that some of my choices are personal preferences...
What I came up with was this (as I am in the same situation):

- I prefer a slightly more sturdy one, not the very lightest. who knows you ever want to use it with something heavier than the ED50, as a telelens or heavier, first scope. (I have both)
- I prefer one with flipper locks, not the twist locks. flippers are heavier (adds around 200g to your tripod), but more convenient and faster.
- Benro is a good brand, high quality (say this 10 times). Giottos, Manfrotto and Gitzo (this order) are all high quality and have a good design and feel sturdy.
- Make sure the carbon is worth the money, i.e. your tripod will have less vibration, but how much less does it weigh for how much more money? Travel can cause much more wear, especially when on trails, in mountains, and when you feel the stress of discovering a new bird and having to set up your tripod fast (hence flippers and aluminium for me).
- I will choose a ball head. pro's: more compact and lighter than a three-way head, will stay in place every time you lock it, thus also better to combine with photographing.

Again, solely my opinion ;-)
good luck with your choice!

Hi Jessica,

I have two lightweight CF tripods BUT I prefer a Joby Gorillapod SLR Zoom and Velbon QHD-41Q Quick Release Ball Head with my 50ED. I took this hiking the Waimea Canyon on Kauai. It was the perfect setup. Always a tree/bush/rock/bridge rail nearby to clamp on to or set up on. In a pinch, I could just sit on the ground and bring a knee up to my chest to set up support.

Merry Christmas,
Rick

Attachments

• Nikon 50ED.jpg
    Nikon 50ED.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 171
Hi Jessica,

The "Angel" looks pretty good to me. I have my ED50 on a Benro C-028 with a Benro KB-0 ballhead. It's a great setup.

If you don't need the very short length of the angel when folded, look at C-027 (3 section) and C-028 (4 section) as they are a bit lighter and a little less expensive. B&H doesn't have them, check Eb*y.

I think you're on the right path with a very light carbon tripod though as it compliments what the ED50 is about. Regarding ballheads... I suggest one that uses either Arca Swiss compatible plates or Manfrotto rectangular plates as this allows installation and removal of the scope this wear and tear on the tripod socket.

This one looks good: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_486RC2_486RC2_Compact_Ballhead_w_Rapid.html

Last edited:
RJM, if the scope were only for my enjoyment, I'd start out with a Gorillapod. I love my smaller version for a compact camera. What I didn't say, is that my husband and I will be sharing the scope. So, we went with angled, and we want a tripod rather than monopod so we we can trade views quickly without having to re-find the bird every time. If a tree were handy, the Gorillapod would work for that, but the "knees up" solution wouldn't... and I know a few locations we frequent -- like a mountain road we hike -- that doesn't have trees, rocks, etc. handy. But I can certainly vouch for the Gorillapod. It's the only reason husband and I have any vacation pictures of the two of us together! In fact, I might buy one for the scope as a secondary/car mount, as it could "hang on" to the door with the window rolled down. Thanks for talking me into it. :)

Temmie and Kevin, thank you for your comments on Benro quality. Good to hear, because I don't want to spend a fortune.

Temmie, I appreciate the suggestion to go a little heavier in case we want to use it for other purposes. The only possibility of that would be a smaller DSLR and modest lens... which we don't own yet, but might want to hike with in the future. I think that would still be easily under the weight limit of the travel angel. The ED50 is my first scope, and I might follow up with a 70-85mm in the future -- but I wouldn't take it hiking!... and it would need a much beefier tripod. I'll check out comparable aluminum, so I'm not throwing money away. I'm pretty small, so weight counts for something.

Kevin, I'm looking at the C-028 specs as per your recommendation. From what I can find, it's 2.4 lbs while the travel angel is 1.7 lbs. But I'd save some cash going with the C-028, so I'll start measuring my carry-on bags to see if I need the compact size... but the weight savings is certainly nice!

And I need to figure out how I'll carry it all in the field... I'm thinking of sewing a stay-on sling with shoulder straps and a cut-out part for the legs to hang through partially extended. That would support the tripod head and scope to minimize stress on the threads. (Maybe my mom's sewing lessons will pay off!) If this actually happens, I'll post pictures/pattern.

I found this anti-rotation plate that fits the head you suggested... would it work with the ED50, do you think? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...PLARCH_14_Architectural_Anti_Twist_Quick.html

I've also seen recommendations for this anti-twist plate: http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3961
Have you used either? Is it necessary?

Thanks again for sharing!

It doesn't make sense to me that the "angel" should be 1/2 lb lighter than the 028. The angel has 5 leg section and the 028 has 4. They are about the same height, and use the same construction method. But if it is, great.

Regarding plates... one matches the plate to the head they want to use. Arca plate mounts to an Arca-type compatible ballhead and a Manfrotto plate to a Manfrotto head. An Arca setup will require some minor modification so the simple thing would be to just buy a Manfrotto ballhead with the rectangular plate, like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...84RC2_Mini_Ballhead_Quick.html#specifications

11oz. and the plate will bolt up directly to your ED50 WITH an anti-twist pin, ready to go.

You don't need either of the two plates you show links for as the ED50 has a hole in the base compatible with the standard anti-twist pin that comes with the standard plate.

Last edited:
I'll try to find independent verification of the travel angel's weight... since I've found misinformation on BH before. I'll post what I find out. There are two travel angels -- one 4 section and the other 5. The 028 is taller w/o the center col extended, so it may be worth a little weight for the stability.

4 sec angel: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...068M8_Travel_Angel_Carbon.html#specifications
5 sec angel: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...069M8_Travel_Angel_Carbon.html#specifications

Both list the weight as 1.7 lb.

Thanks for the info re: anti-twist. I'll definitely pick up the head you recommend!

If money is not the limiting factor, go for the carbon tripod. You won't regret that choice. The material itself will dampen vibration better, and it's lighter, ofcourse!
I follow Kevin about the suggestion for a rather cheap, but nonetheless excellent Manfrotto Ballhead. Take the 484, the 486 won't make any difference for your kind of use.
The Benro Angel has 5 sections. Be aware that 5 sections open up slower than four (and those are not flippers, but twist-locks). It can happen that you do a lot of hiking with the tripod legs allready stretched out, but if you tend to fold them up every time, this can be annoying to spend time setting up the tripod while your potential top-bird is allmost flying away. The 5th and lowest section will inevitably be small and somewhat more shaky, which could be well within your expectations, but would fail to keep me satisfied.

To conclude: if low weight is your biggest concern, you will have a light tripod, very good quality, but a little slow setting up and maybe a little more shaky.
if functionality but not weight is your biggest concern, you will have to look for something a little heavier with less sections.

good luck ;)

I've attached info about the Benro Travel Angel series... the chart can also be found on ebay here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Benro-C-069-M8-TRAVEL-ANGEL-CARBON-FIBER-Tripod-Leg_W0QQitemZ190274714536QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTripods_Monopods?hash=item190274714536&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

This also indicates 1.7 lb. It looks like I'd need to go with the 5 section to get the height I require. Or the 028.

Attachments

• BenroAngelSeries.jpg
    BenroAngelSeries.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 368
Everything's always a trade-off, isn't it. I don't really know how I'd carry it while hiking... that's why I'm thinking of making a sling that lets it stay partially extended.

This travel angel (c-168m8) has 4 sections, enough height and folds to 14"... 2.2 lb. It's also the most expensive of the ones I'm considering. Compared to the 028, it looks like I'd pay $100 for about 4" when folded. That might be too much for me!

Here's the info on that one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...168M8_Travel_Angel_Carbon.html#specifications

OK -- husband just made up my mind. He's not into $100 for 4" and measured our carry-on bags to prove it. So the 028 it is!

Induro tripods ARE Benro tripods, except they cost more. Originally they were all Benros but an American marketing guy struck a deal to distribute them in the US as Induro. Induro prices are approaching that of Gitzo who's tripods Benro's and Induro's are blatant knocks offs. One of the consequences of Induro's pricing is that it dragged Benro's prices up along with them, though they keep them attractively separate to encourage people to order from Asia.

Before Induro reared it's head one could buy a Benro for a fraction of what they cost today. I bought a C028 for $110. and a KB-0 head for $59. Those prices are long gone so don't bother looking, I already have. ;) To be fair though, the newest ones have some improvements over the one I have though I'm not sure I'd be in a position to appreciate any of them as mine is strong and light and has been durable.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back