• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redolance's Art (1 Viewer)

Very strong image and I like the selection of colour and he expressive way you've applied it. But best of all - no doubt - is the way you've rendered the feet; real clawy, grippy, stand-uppy feet which is probably the most difficult aspect of the work. Top-notch.

Thanks Tim!
Here is the finished result. I added a smokey colored background.

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 72
It's a good choice (to be honest, your original pic looks to have this grey cast anyway). One thing I would take a peek at and that's the bird's eye - well, the highlight in it actually. Unless you are deliberately going for the animated-look (1970s 'MarineBoy' springs to mind) then I think you could temper the bright white a tad. Of course it's entirely up to you and to be fair it sits quite nicely with the strong graphic qualities of the piece anyway - so I'll just shut up . . .

It's a good choice (to be honest, your original pic looks to have this grey cast anyway). One thing I would take a peek at and that's the bird's eye - well, the highlight in it actually. Unless you are deliberately going for the animated-look (1970s 'MarineBoy' springs to mind) then I think you could temper the bright white a tad. Of course it's entirely up to you and to be fair it sits quite nicely with the strong graphic qualities of the piece anyway - so I'll just shut up . . .

Thanks tim. I am open to any advice and thanks.

Beautiful work! My favorite is in your first post the middle bird, Has a great personality coming through it!

You have captured the living essence of this bird!

Full of character! Love it!

Would look not out of place on a billboard. It is great "poster art!"

Simplistic, measured and STRIKING!

Here are a couple more wildlife drawings

The lion is done in pen, brush, ink, and a lil paint for the highlighting of the eyes. The scorpion is done in artist graphite.

Attachments

• Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 46
Hey there Redo! Welcome to the very finest bit of BF. I'm sorry I wasn't here to welcome you on arrival, I've been up country at a show for the weekend.

Good strong graphic feel to what you do, resonating colour too!

Mike

Hey there Redo! Welcome to the very finest bit of BF. I'm sorry I wasn't here to welcome you on arrival, I've been up country at a show for the weekend.

Good strong graphic feel to what you do, resonating colour too!

Mike

Thanks!|=)|

nice strong color on that one....lets see another;)

Thank Colleen. I found a great reference photo of a swan. I am going to do it in artist graphite. =) I am sketching it in my sketch book, so, that I can get a grasp on it before I start on the finished piece. I read that it is a good idea to know your subject a lil bit, that way you can grasp what it is not what you think it is. See what it is, not what you think you see. =) I am just getting the hang of having a sketch book. So, wish me luck! =D

I am sketching it in my sketch book, so, that I can get a grasp on it before I start on the finished piece. I read that it is a good idea to know your subject a lil bit, that way you can grasp what it is not what you think it is. See what it is,

Although photos can be an aid....the best of all is to SEE it for yourself in real life, not as the camera sees, but how YOU see.

Hope you can find a swan near by if you haven't already....or maybe it's a photo you took... even so go look at the bird and make some marks in your sketch book they don't have to be pretty or even look like a swan, but make some marks that have meaning to you....then work with a photo, and you will find it so much more meaningful....

If you don't mind me asking approx how old are you? It will make a difference in how I look at your work and make suggestions to you. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Although photos can be an aid....the best of all is to SEE it for yourself in real life, not as the camera sees, but how YOU see.

Hope you can find a swan near by if you haven't already....or maybe it's a photo you took... even so go look at the bird and make some marks in your sketch book they don't have to be pretty or even look like a swan, but make some marks that have meaning to you....then work with a photo, and you will find it so much more meaningful....

If you don't mind me asking approx how old are you? It will make a difference in how I look at your work and make suggestions to you. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.
Thanks for the advice Colleenc. I am 31 years of age. |=)|

thanks, one more question, what do you want from your art, ie what are your goals, the things you want to accomplish by making your art, and where you'd like to eventually be able to do.

I ask this so I can give you comments in a way that matches your intent.

Last edited:
thanks, one more question, what do you want from your art, ie what are your goals, the things you want to accomplish by making your art, and where you'd like to eventually get.

I ask this so I can give you help in a way that matches your intents.

I want to make money from my art. But, as well, I want to master my mediums such as paint, pencil, etc.. |:D|

If you want to make money, then a couple more questions....who do you expect to sell to, what outlets do you plan to sell at, how will you figure out what market you will appeal to. ( all of this will affect what work you do, what colors to use, what birds to use etc)

BTW IMO, making really good art, ie mastering your media, honing skills would come before selling art, but that's just me:t:

If you want to make money, then a couple more questions....who do you expect to sell to, what outlets do you plan to sell at, how will you figure out what market you will appeal to. ( all of this will affect what work you do, what colors to use, what birds to use etc)

BTW IMO, making really good art, ie mastering your media, honing skills would come before selling art, but that's just me:t:

I completely agree colleenc. My first goal should be to master my medium. Perhaps, practice a piece a few times in my sketch book perhaps, do value studies until I reach the preferred range of values and tones, and then do the work. Usually, I just do the work and that is that. But I realize now, I must take time to get as best I can on a piece. And I believe you're right, to master the medium comes before the piece sells. If the piece isn't right, then it will not be an honest sell if I sell it. But the piece must meet my expectations. But do you ever really get a piece just right? I remember in art class in school, our art teacher stated there are no flawless pieces of art. Which, I have no idea if that is true or not, but can't let it take away from my goal to be flawless. =)
I plan on renting a booth at the local flea market next Spring and doing portraits and selling art. Right now, that is my goal as far as selling.
Thanks for commenting!

The Mocker

This is pen and ink. I did a few African animals for my dad to put into my niece's room, and this is one of them.

Attachments

• Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 38
sorry to have joined the thread so late - this forum moves so quickly now! I've very much enjoyed looking at these strong graphic images, they have a great strength in their simplicity. Looking forward to seeing more.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back