• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon IXUS 115 HS (1 Viewer)

scotview

Canon IXUS 115 HS

Firstly, let me say that this review is from a beginner’s perspective. My equipment is used primarily to take video footage for bird identification/behaviour and to grab still images from the footage.

My current equipment comprises a Celestron Ultima 80 Scope, a Baader Microstage II adaptor and a basic Hama tripod.

I own a Lumix TZ7 and cannot use this camera for digi/video- scoping as the vignetting is unacceptable due to it’s X12 Optical zoom. I also own a Canon IXUS 860 which has performed well but the 860 is limited to AVI low resolution video, 860:480 format.

After much web searching for a 1080p compact camera , I recently purchased a Canon IXUS 115 HS, primarily to improve the quality of grabbed images from video. The following are some initial observations on the IXUS 115 performance to date.

Weight : the camera is extremely compact and lightweight which makes it’s use with the Baader adaptor very satisfactory. See Pic1 below for the mounting arrangement.The camera can be swung away from this position for access to the eye-piece.

Setting-up with the Scope and Adaptor : The 115 HS is extremely easy to set-up in the field with the Baader microstage. Obtaining the initial sharp black “circle” is achieved easily and quickly. See Pic2 below. Repeatability and drift when moving the camera out of position to use the scope- eye piece is extremely good. This is probably due to it’s very small size and weight, thus easing the stress on the Baader moving parts.

Vignetting : The IXUS 115 has an optical zoom of X4. Vignetting with the Ultima 80 is overcome at approx 2X optical zoom. Performance at full X4 optical is also good. Pic3 below shows no vignetting at approx X2 optical zoom.

Using Camera in non-auto mode : In this mode the user can choose various scenes etc.

A very useful feature in this mode is the ability to magnify the focal point. A small square window opens up on the display enlarging the focal point. This allows for improved focus using the scope focus adjustment. See Pic 4.

I use X3 magnification ready made spectacles to look at the camera display and this coupled to the improved focus display are great for my “old guys” eyesight.

Using Camera on Full Auto : Focussing can hunt around significantly before the focus is “acquired”. I haven’t used auto mode extensively yet.
Interestingly the camera quite often shows the macro icon when in auto mode.

1080p Video : When shooting in 1080p, any movement of the tripod creates a wavy effect on the display screen. This wavy motion also appears on recorded video if there is any tripod movement. The scope and camera need to be rock steady when shooting in 1080p.
Interestingly what you see on the display seems to be the “after processing” view ie what you see is what you get.

720p Video : When shooting in 720p, the video image is more forgiving of camera shake at high zoom levels. Images grabbed from video footage are acceptable for identification and behavioural purposes. See Pic5 for image grabbed using VLC player.

Slowmotion video: I have not tested this facility but it might be useful for grabbing images of bird take-off and landing.

Battery life : The battery is smaller than that of the IXUS 860 and I think the battery life would be average for a compact. Battery life is certainly better than the LUMIX TZ7.

Self timer : This functionality is similar to the IXUS 860. The self timer can be customised to the desired delay time and number of shots. I personally use customised 3 seconds and 3 shots, this allows time for vibrations to be damped out. After switching the camera off and on , the self-timer needs to be reselected from the menu but the custom setting is saved.

Ease of use : I have quite large hands and find that the buttons on the rear of the camera are quite small but you do get used to it.

Camera zoom : Interestingly, the camera will only zoom in video format when set for 4:3 stills picture format . When set for 16:9 picture format the camera will NOT zoom in video mode. Camera zoom must be set before taking a video in 16:9 photo mode. (maybe not a bad thing)

When on maximum camera and scope zoom with my IXUS 860 (and also on one of my my friend’s 860’s) there are distinct small circles showing on the display and on photos/video. These blemishes has not been removed with lens cleaning and I think they are bubbles in the IXUS 860 lens glass.
At high magnifications the IXUS 115 HS does NOT show any sign of having these annoying small artefacts in the picture. Perhaps improved quality control/technology from Canon.

At high zoom with the camera and scope there are significant chromatic aberrations. I think that this is a limitation of the ultima 80 rather than the IXUS 115. But I feel that the scope and camera are a good low budget match.

Digital zoom: The digital zoom facility is useful for identification in the field but the picture/video quality is pixilated.

Card storage : I am using class 6 cards. At 720p I can store a surprising amount of 720p video. I think that 1080p would be greedy. The video seems to be relatively smooth with the class 6 card.

Ovarall impression: I would repeat that I am a beginner and high end results are not one of my objectives. The IXUS 115 HS has been a good purchase at £120 with £20 cashback from Canon. I am very happy with the step change in performance that the 115 HS has given me. I feel that this camera and scope are well matched.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 307
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 241
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 256
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 235
Some test photos

Attached are some test photos taken at RSPB Loch of Strathbeg Reserve.

Pic1 Set-up shot to set sharp focus circle, scope is on X20 zoom. Distance approx 800 feet according to Ordnance Survey. The photo shows wild Konik ponies recently introduced to the Strathbeg reserve.

Pic2 Extreme zoom of same shot with camera at X4 optical zoom and scope at X60 zoom. Photograph at highest resolution.

Pic3 Camera X2 optical zoom, scope at X50 zoom. Photograph at highest resolution.

Pic4 Camera X2 optical zoom, scope at approx X50 zoom. Image grabbed from 720p video using VLC player.

Pic5 Camera X2 optical zoom, scope at approx X30 zoom. Image grabbed from 720p video using VLC player. Great Crested Grebe, Strathbeg.

There was some camera shake due to windy day, the lighting was quite dull and all photos are unedited.

When reviewing, please bear in mind that I am a beginner and the camera cost £120 and Scope £140.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 188
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 228
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 235
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Postscript

A couple of field shots from today:

Pic1 A recording shot of an American and Eurasian Wigeon today at RSPB Strathbeg, Long distance, but the grabbed image gave me a great record of a personal first and unusual Strathbeg visitor. Image grabbed from 720p video.

Pic2 20 Degrees C today in NE Scotland and this swallow was sunbathing on a steading roof at Strathbeg. Image grabbed from 720p video.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Latest results

I have been pleased with the Ixus 115 but have felt that focus has been soft and chromatic aberrations were excessive.

After playing about with focus settings this morning, I have found that the camera performs best when vignetting has just been overcome, this occurs at about 50% of camera zoom.

Attached are three samples taken today at at RSPB Troup Head sea bird colony.

Image 1 Gannet preening, taken at X20 zoom on Ultima scope with Ixus 115 at 50% zoom (approx X2 optical) Distance approx 15 metres

Image 2 photo taken with settings above but approx 40 metres

Image 3 Image grabbed from 1080p video footage.

Was limited with shots as rain stopped play !!

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 227
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 245
IXUS 115 HS video sample

Short sample video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzif-v2d7a4

Canon IXUS 115 HS.

The section of video 14 seconds in was taken with the IXUS 115 mounted on a Celestron Ultima 80 Scope. The IXUS was at X2 optical, the scope at X20 zoom and the camera on Auto.

Pretty pleased with these considering the camera cost £120 and the scope £140.

Surprisingly plays to 1080p.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back