• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica SLR photo adapter-worth buying?? (1 Viewer)

Nadine

Hello!

Does anyone use the Leica SLR photo adapter-televid 77??? Is it any good?
Im not sure if I should get the photo adapter to go with my canon 500n or by a digital camera and adapter!!
anyone have some opinions??

thks
nad

Nadine said:
Hello!

Does anyone use the Leica SLR photo adapter-televid 77??? Is it any good?
Im not sure if I should get the photo adapter to go with my canon 500n or by a digital camera and adapter!!
anyone have some opinions??

thks
nad

Nad,
I have a Nikon F80 SLR with a Leica APO62 Televid, and have bought the adaptor to connect the two. I have made a few comments that might help you, after using for a few months. I would think the experience would be similar with your Canon.

1. You will need an adaptor ring to connect the adaptor to the Canon. A decent camera shop will have or order this for you at around £15.

2. The exposure meter in the camera doesn't work with the adaptor, so a separate light meter is necessary. With the Nikon/Leica 62 combination I have a fixed aperture of around f11-f12. You have the Leica 77 so you might get a larger aperture. I think it's a different adaptor for the 77 also.

3. Use a good tripod and a cable release for the camera.

4. The image looking through the camera eyepiece is not as clear as directly through the scope/eyepiece.

5. The effective magnification is the equivalent of using an 800mm lens. I hope to get a Nikon digital SLR eventually, so the equivalent then would be 1.5 x making it the equal of a 1200mm lens. (Even more need for a steady tripod!). With the 32xWW eyepiece the view is the equivalent of a 1600mm lens.

The results have been generally pretty good, although most photos have been of birds on a lake, so they've been fairly static. I've tried using a digital compact against the 32x eyepiece before purchasing the Leica adaptor, and the success rate was very low.

I hope this is useful to you. Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, I've had trouble with the internet connection and have only recently got back on line.

Regards,

Bob.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back