• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another master-piece is ruined.... (1 Viewer)

The comments below are quite amusing. A great tragedy of course.

Since the artist is now sadly deceased someone else repainting the bowl wouldn't be the same, but maybe if the cleaner repainted the bowl the 'artistic integrity' of the piece would stand, the story taking on a new twist ...

(Otherwise I'd be happy to do it for, say, 10% ...)

It's absurb, the cleaning staff is way smarter than the museum.....someday long after we are gone probably, the truth of the crap passed off as art today will be exposed by more than the janitorial staff.

Ok, for you collectors out there, if that was worth £690k just think what these are worth - and they have REAL leaks in the roof. I was lucky enough to inherit the first, and the second was crafted by the violin-maker who has a neighbouring allotment. C'mon guys, let's have some offers while we're still alive...

Mike

Attachments

• allotDSCN1811.JPG
    allotDSCN1811.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 97
  • allotDSCN1489.JPG
    allotDSCN1489.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 84
Ok, for you collectors out there, if that was worth £690k just think what these are worth - and they have REAL leaks in the roof. I was lucky enough to inherit the first, and the second was crafted by the violin-maker who has a neighbouring allotment. C'mon guys, let's have some offers while we're still alive...

Mike

To be honest, I would look at them, there's plenty of character there..mark

Mike

priceless:-O

Mike

Quite moving mcw - 2 wonderful pieces, evoking the struggle of the proletariat in the inter-war years - against the seemingly unstoppable march of capitalism...

Here's my interpretation of sun setting over the industrial wasteland that was once known as Kent

:smoke:

Attachments

• Gold Blend.JPG
    Gold Blend.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Here's my interpretation of sun setting over the industrial wasteland that was once known as Kent

Too representational to be art. I'd like to see more abstraction, after all the brown stain actually looks a little tiny bit like a sun and we can't have that can we!
;)

Mike

Please go on - I think the comments have been fair and just...and pretty restrained personally

Coming from an 'arty-farty' background myself I maybe should be offended. But I'm not at all. Everyone, including the owners and administrators of the museum, ought to ask themselves what it says when the janitors, and I like Tim was one once upon a time, mistake art for rubbish. This is much less a comment on the janitors than it is on the 'art'.

My guess is that the museum would criticize anyone who laughs at this story as an uninformed Philistine. But that's the problem. These responses are not from Philistines but from accomplished artists. There's just something wrong about the art and the art world when many artists readily poke fun at what gets shown in museums. I don't believe most museums are willing to acknowledge this. Instead they just assume that they know better.

So I like Adam do wonder what is so bad about what has been written here? Is it the language? Or is it the criticism of the 'art?' If the latter it's hard to sympathize. I know that people poked fun at many great artists in the past. Often they didn't understand them and now they're considered masters. I've certainly changed my opinions drastically over the years about some artists. At one time I couldn't begin to understand why people made such a big deal about Cezanne. Then I came to love his work. But other times the work just doesn't live up to the words that accompany it. And eventually someone discovers that the emperor has no clothes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back