• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Afocal: Macro & Auto Mode Super Dark (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

EQUIPMENT:
Celestron C90 scope; Nikon Coolpix 4500; DigiMount Adapter

ISSUE:
I keep reading that macro made is the best to use for afocal photography of this sort. However, if I use the Nikon's Macro (flower icon) mode or the "Auto" mode (no icon) it photographs like it was in a dark room with no lights on even on a bright, sunny day.

Landscape (mountain icon) mode looks about right, if maybe a tad over-bright.

Otherwise I'm using the typical settings for this camera, such as these: http://www.digiscoped.com/DigiscopingTechnique.html (except that in Landscape mode the AF targeting blocks are not available...which seems moot shooting at the eyepiece anyway).

So am I doing something wrong when using Macro mode? Or is this just the nature of my particular setup now?

Should I change any of the settings based on what I've mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

D'oh...I may have just answered my own question, but just in case I didn't:

I did find I was in "P" mode (Programmed Auto) rather than where it should have been: "A" mode (Aperture Priority). Would that be the issue? I must have changed back to the wrong mode at some point. :(

To be fair, I'm no expert photographer: been using the 4500 settings at the link above or here in these forums (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=3302) rather blindly with good results at lower zooms. So I don't fully understand what is going on (f-stops and ISO make my head hurt).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back