• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Relation of age and exit pupil (1 Viewer)

Raybo

How does it effect us as binocular users?

Is a smaller exit pupil better for us "older" people? As an example, I "can" have blackout problems with my Pentax 8X43 SP's but with my 10X35 E2's it has not occured as of yet. As we get older is there a relation?

Thanks and clear skies,
Raybo

your pupils can't dilate as much when you get older. The larger the exit pupil for a pair of binoculars the more potentiol light that can enter your eyes. If a binocular has an exit pupil of 7mm and your pupil only opens to 5mm as you get older that just means that the extra 2mm have no use. Usually if your older 5mm is the most you need for exit pupil. The extra light power only really comes in to play when your viewing in darker conditions. I don't know anything about blackout though

Raybo said:
How does it effect us as binocular users?

Is a smaller exit pupil better for us "older" people? As an example, I "can" have blackout problems with my Pentax 8X43 SP's but with my 10X35 E2's it has not occured as of yet. As we get older is there a relation?

Thanks and clear skies,
Raybo

Raybo!

According to what I have read a very young person have an maximum eye pupil of 8mm, after 30 years old it will be smaller than 7mm. After that about:
40 years old: 6mm
50 years old: 5mm
65 years old: 4mm
And finally to the very end of life about 3mm.

That means a person with a maximum eye pupil size of 5mm doesn't have use for binoculars with more than 5mm exit pupil. Using a 7x50 means that half of the light go to waste. If you have 5mm eye pupil and use a 7x50, it means that the 7x50 in practice will work like a 7x35. Then will be better to use a 8x40 or 10x50.

I think blackout problem has to do with too long eye relief, not eye pupil size relation to exit pupil size. I have heard that a big exit pupil size is bad for them who has astigmatism, if I recall right, and a small exit pupil in that situation is an advantage.

Regards, Patric

Swedpat said:
Raybo!

According to what I have read a very young person have an maximum eye pupil of 8mm, after 30 years old it will be smaller than 7mm. After that about:
40 years old: 6mm
50 years old: 5mm
65 years old: 4mm
And finally to the very end of life about 3mm.

That means a person with a maximum eye pupil size of 5mm doesn't have use for binoculars with more than 5mm exit pupil. Using a 7x50 means that half of the light go to waste. If you have 5mm eye pupil and use a 7x50, it means that the 7x50 in practice will work like a 7x35. Then will be better to use a 8x40 or 10x50.

I think blackout problem has to do with too long eye relief, not eye pupil size relation to exit pupil size. I have heard that a big exit pupil size is bad for them who has astigmatism, if I recall right, and a small exit pupil in that situation is an advantage.

Regards, Patric

Ok, I guess that answers my question, if I have my eyecups extended all the way (on my 8X43's) the problem goes away, I thought it might have to do with the exit pupil.

Thanks for the info,
Raybo

Raybo said:
I just hope i'm getting this right.

If my eyecups are extended that does what for me?

Raybo

It changes your eye's position relative to the focal point of the eyepiece. Blackouts can occur when your eye is too close to the eyepiece. Back off a bit and the problem usually goes away.

John

John Traynor said:
It changes your eye's position relative to the focal point of the eyepiece. Blackouts can occur when your eye is too close to the eyepiece. Back off a bit and the problem usually goes away.

John

Thanks John,

But why do the blackouts occur? Is it because of the exit pupil or is it the way I have the bins orientated to my eyes? The reason i'm asking is because I have less problems with the smaller exit pupil bins.

Thanks again,
Raybo

Raybo said:
Thanks John,

But why do the blackouts occur? Is it because of the exit pupil or is it the way I have the bins orientated to my eyes? The reason i'm asking is because I have less problems with the smaller exit pupil bins.

Thanks again,
Raybo

Blackouts are caused by two factors: one, as John said, is the distance (too close) between eyes and eyepieces; and second, the interpupilary distance - too small or too large.

I did a sligthly incorrect statement when I wrote: "I think blackout problem has to do with too long eye relief". The problem with very long ER is when the eyecups don't provide an optimal distance for the eye. That is the situation with my Oberwerk 11x70. 23mm ER is good for glasses, but the rubber eyecups are not possible to adjust to a perfect distance when I have glasses on. The image will either sligthly blackout or I can't see the entire FOV.

Patric

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back