• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have I seen a Honey Buzzard. Mid Sussex UK (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

Our bungalow is in the corner of a field and we regularly see Common Buzzards in the trees, in flight and on a power pole some 250 metres away or so. In the summer we had an adult and a juvenile feeding on worms close by.

About a month ago, when we had a warm spell, there was what we thought was a CB on the power pole but, somehow it didn't seem right. I saw that it's head was grey but then, as they do, it flew off into the distance and I thought no more about it.

Yesterday, while my wife was on an errand in the next village, and bored, I flicked through the pages in the bird spotters book that has photographs and which we keep in the car. The buzzards page had a lovely photo of an HB depicting a grey head.

Is this feature sufficient on its own to confirm the bird as an HB?

Never seen one before.

Theoretically It is possible you have seen a Honey Buzzard. But these rarely sit on poles though. From the distance you were looking from I don't think we can rule out Common Buzzard. Some CB's have the strangest patterns.
Was the flight in a rowing kind of way?

Last edited:
Tbh it is very unlikely it was a Honey Buzzard - Common Buzzards are known for being very variable in colour with pale heads and/or bodies. Plus very much on the late side.

Spoilsports <g>, I was so wanting it to be an HB!

To clarify, I was using an Opticron 15x70 bin permanently that is permanently tripod mounted, from our lounge. The 250m estimate is courtesy of Google Earth.

Thank you both.

Adult red kite? A far more obvious grey head and more likely to perch looking down into a field

Thanks for the kite suggestion. I have seen kites in mid Wales but not around here. It didn't cross my mind. I will watch out for them.

I have seen HB perched in Southern France, and its usually the 'pigeon-shape' to the head that gives it away to me. Red Kites from the Nettlebed/Marlow release have been spreading since the mid 1990s, and I have often seen them in East Hampshire in the last couple of years, so that sounds possible. My family on the South Coast of Mid-Hampshire get them on a near monthly basis now.
Completely agree qith the comments on CB and colour variation others called out.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back