• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Service (NON Warranty) (1 Viewer)

dries1

Regarding Nikon older models lets say, 2002, has anyone sent in a binocular that they bought second hand and got it fixed (at cost) and were happy.

Andy W.

Regarding Nikon older models lets say, 2002, has anyone sent in a binocular that they bought second hand and got it fixed (at cost) and were happy.

Andy W.

I received an old "grey bodied" 8x30 EII in a trade that had several black specks in the view.
I contacted Nikon and they took it in, fixed the black speck problem and tightened up the hinge and diopter ring.
All for free under there No Fault Lifetime Warranty on optics.

That is encouraging, I am hoping that they continue to treat older high end glass this way for let's say minor repairs. I wonder how many low priced Prostaff models they have just replaced instead of fixing.

Andy W.

I received an old "grey bodied" 8x30 EII in a trade that had several black specks in the view.
I contacted Nikon and they took it in, fixed the black speck problem and tightened up the hinge and diopter ring.
All for free under there No Fault Lifetime Warranty on optics.

It's worth noting that the no fault business was a policy and not a warranty, and that Nikon rescinded that policy a few years ago. I have read stories online of Nikon refusing to repair camera lenses bought second hand, even when the owners offered to pay. I'm not sure if that behavior extends to binoculars, but I'd be wary of buying second hand. I'd even be wary of buying first hand since the resale value of their binoculars isn't great now that the warranty only applies to the original owner.

Edit: Maybe my comment was too harsh about being wary of buying first hand. That was more a jab at Nikon. Of course there's more to binoculars than the warranty.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that the no fault business was a policy and not a warranty, and that Nikon rescinded that policy a few years ago. I have read stories online of Nikon refusing to repair camera lenses bought second hand, even when the owners offered to pay. I'm not sure if that behavior extends to binoculars, but I'd be wary of buying second hand. I'd even be wary of buying first hand since the resale value of their binoculars isn't great now that the warranty only applies to the original owner.
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/no-fault/no-fault.page
Some have reported free service on secondhand products, probably on a case-by-case basis.

Thanks for the info, some pleasurable reading no doubt. Now I am beginning to wonder if Nikon is retracting from making high-end optics. Owners of very good upper end Nikon optics 15-20 years old, will be saying why? I just wanted to get it cleaned, tune up the focus or replace the rubber ocular covers.

Andy W.

...I have read stories online of Nikon refusing to repair camera lenses bought second hand, even when the owners offered to pay...

I wonder if there is more to the story, like perhaps the lenses were not official import stock? I have had lenses repaired by Nikon that I bought second hand, but they were not grey market units.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back